April is national Sexual Assault Awareness Month (or SAAM for short). It’s a month set aside to think about, speak out and change the way we think about sexual violence. [Find out more here]. This year’s theme is “It’s time… Get involved.” And my April challenge to you UNC is exactly that- Get involved. Don’t worry, I’m not going to give you a challenge and then just leave you hanging—here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Attend the kick off event TODAY from 12-2 in the faculty lounge at the Y. Bring your lunch, enjoy cookies and lemonade and learn more about how to get involved in violence prevention on the UNC campus.
- Attend one (or more) SAAM events on campus: Check em’ out!
- Check out who is tweeting about SAAM on twitter: #SAAM
- Participate in the Orange County Rape Crisis Center’s (OCRCC) Turn the Town Teal by visiting participating businesses downtown, including Sugarland Bakery, Carrboro Yoga Company, McAlister’s, Carolina Brewing Company and more! (For details and dates on fundraising promotions visit OCRCC website)
- Share what you’ve learned. Let’s change the way we think UNC! You can even share it with us on Facebook or on the Shout Out blog.
- Throughout the month of April visit one of the SAAM Book Displays at a local bookstores, including Flyleaf, Bulls Head Book Shop (at UNC-Chapel Hill), and Barnes and Noble (at New Hope Commons in Durham).
- Visit UNC One Act and learn all about the bystander affect and taking action.
- Want more? Want to continue even after SAAM is over? Here are some great organizations on campus dedicated to preventing sexual violence all year long: One Act, Project Dinah, Carolina Women’s Center, HAVEN trainings, Safe Zone Training, LGBTQ Center. Know of more? Let us know!
- Get creative, think outside the box, and GET INVOLVED in sexual violence prevention!
Once you’ve taken the challenge we’d love to hear your thoughts! Be sure to share your experiences by commenting!