Sex on your period: Fact or Fiction?

Sex during periods. As a sexual health educator, I am asked about this subject a lot.

“Do other couples do it?” “How does it work?” “Will I get pregnant?”

There are some myths and half-truths floating around about sex during a period, so I’m going to try to set the record straight…

Can you have sex on your period?

Yes. But like all issues surrounding sex, communication is critical. This means checking in with your partner. Depending on whether you’re the one menstruating or not, questions might include: “How do you feel during your period? Would you ever want to have sex while you’re menstruating?” or “I’m on my period right now. How do you feel about having sex while I’m menstruating?” For many folks who menstruate, sexual desire changes during different times of the menstrual cycle. For example, a person might experience increased desire during menstruation or ovulation – it all depends on the person. Be sure to talk about desires and feelings to ensure everyone is on the same page from the beginning.

Is having sex on your period bad for you?

No. Having sex while one or more partners are on their period is not harmful. In fact, there are a few ways in which it might be helpful! First, the contractions of orgasm might help relieve menstrual cramping. Second, sex might feel particularly great because the vagina can become super lubricated from menstrual secretions. If you or your partner worry about a mess from the blood, consider spreading out a towel or having sex in the shower to minimize post-coital cleaning.

Can I get pregnant if I have sex while on my period?

Yes. We get a lot of questions about specific situations on this – but the short answer is always “yes, it’s possible to get pregnant at any time during a menstrual cycle.” To put that in writing again – if you have unprotected vaginal/penile intercourse during your period, it is possible to get pregnant. This can happen if you have sex before, during or after your period.

You are most likely to get pregnant if you have sex around the time of ovulation. Ovulation is when an egg is released from the ovary, and it usually occurs about 14 days after the start of your last period. Many women have unpredictable ovulation or may have spotting at the time of ovulation, which could be confused with a period.

Plus, sperm can live in a vagina for up to five days. Yup, five days. So if an egg comes around at any point during that time, you could become pregnant.

If you have had penile-vaginal sex without contraception and you don’t want to get pregnant, consider Emergency Contraception (such as Plan B, ella, Plan B One Step or a Copper IUD). Many of these are available at most pharmacies over the counter and are pretty darn effective for up to 5 days after unprotected sex.

There are more reliable methods of contraception than Emergency Contraception. We encourage you to speak with your pharmacist or medical provider about contraception options that might work for you.

Are other people having sex on their period?

Based on the number of folks who are reading this blog article – yup. But really, it doesn’t matter if other folks are doing it or not. Having sex during menstruation is a personal decision, so we cannot stress enough–talk with your partner to see how they feel. If nothing else it can be another opportunity to get to know your partner and their likes, dislikes and comfort level.

This article has been edited for clarity and updated formatting since it’s original publishing date.

Most recent edit: March 1, 2016

198 thoughts on “Sex on your period: Fact or Fiction?

1. mariah May 11, 2016 / 8:48 am

Hi,
    I am a 19 year old and i had sex with my boyfriend when I was on my period we have sex the second day when I started.. I have been feeling light headed and barely wanting to eat.. Should i go see a doctor about this?

• HealthyHeels May 16, 2016 / 8:52 am

Hi Mariah, it sounds like your symptoms might warrant a visit to a provider regardless of your potential for pregnancy. Hope you feel better soon.

2. ShyAs May 11, 2016 / 6:21 am

Hiya, I had unprotected sex with my b.f on the 3rd day of my period in may. My periods usually start 17th. 3rd day wasn’t heavy as it always is (it was very light). So my boyfriend and I had sex very late that night and went on into the early hours of the morning. Now after reading your page I now know you can get pregnant while on your period lol!! But I’m still a little unsure. This is the first time I’ve actually had sex while on my period and for one week (meaning from the time the sex ended early that morning)I had extremely tender/heavy/hot/swollen breasts, extremely mild nausea (on and off not an everyday thing), emotional moments, aching in my tummy like I should have still hady period, bloating, starving or lack of appetite, tiredness…….it’s all been just very odd. The week after that my breasts only hurt when touched, still had dull aches in my tummy and other mild things but I seemed normal lol but now my breasts are tender again with sharps pains every now and then, I get very mildly nauseous after eating sometimes, headaches, mild tiredness, lightheaded, bloated even after I’ve eaten something light and alot of gas (sorry). I’m about 6 days out from getting my period for this month. And I never get these symtoms apart from normal period aches a couple of days before my period. Could these symtoms be put down to it being my first time with having sex on my period and my bodies trying to adjust or did i ovulate during those few days after sex? does this sound like pregnancy? Also on the remaining days of my period (4th & 5th days) my period was almost non existent, kinda looked like spotting but it lasted 2 days extra so I ended out with a 7 day period (first time ever) but from the 4th day to the 7th days were extremely light….could this also just be because of the sex or pregnancy? I’m waiting to see what happens on the 17th of this month (but highly thinking of testing before then) but would really like you opinion asap please and sorry for the long post:)

• HealthyHeels May 16, 2016 / 9:03 am

Hi ShyAs – it’s great that you’re so aware of your body! Keep listening to those cues! Today is the 16th (sorry we’ve been such slackers in responding to comments) – so hopefully your period has already arrived or will tomorrow. But if you’re worried about this happening again, you might consider getting on a method of contraception with which you feel more confident. You can talk to your medical provider or visit bedsider.org to learn more about the various methods that might work for you.

3. anjali May 4, 2016 / 4:32 pm

hi i done sex with my bf tonigt but i thought its my first day of my periods actuly my periods is never on tym and now i have lots of pain on my stomuch and my back.. i want to know only rhis much that there is any chance to pragnent answer fast plizz

• HealthyHeels May 16, 2016 / 9:05 am

Anjali, as with most of our responses to questions on this page, our answer is “yes, you might be pregnant.” Your irregular periods are one of the reasons why having sex on a period may still result in a pregnancy.

4. Bee ba May 4, 2016 / 6:36 am

Had my period on 17th of March, lasted until the 19th. Had unprotected sex with my husband on the 30th. How likely am I to be pregnant?

5. Bhawana May 4, 2016 / 3:06 am

Hi! I had unprotected sex on my second day of period and my periods last for 4 days. This happened on April 3rd and my periods were till April 5. I still didn’t get my period yet. I have so much stomach pain from 4 days and also feel like vomiting and have diarrhea too. I am worried so much. Am I pregnant? I just want to cry.

• HealthyHeels May 16, 2016 / 9:08 am

Hi Bhawana, we hope this has resolved by now and that you’re feeling better about it. Feel free to get back in touch if you have further questions for us.

6. Nam May 2, 2016 / 9:54 am

1st and 5th day into my menstruation, me and my boyfriend had sex and ejacualted in me accidentally. Should I take plan B again? Note that I took plan B hence my menstruation. Would it still be effective? Will I get pregnant? What other preventive measures should I take? Thankyou! I’d appreciated any kind of suggestion.

• HealthyHeels May 16, 2016 / 9:13 am

Hi Nam, this is a fantastic question that not a lot of websites cover. We are digging into the research and asking our fave pharmacists to find an answer for you (better late than never? And it might help someone else with a similar question). But our bottom line is that you and your partner need to find a more reliable method of contraception. Check out bedsider.org to review your options and visit a provider to get one. Best of luck!

7. John April 30, 2016 / 11:49 pm

Hi, I had an unprotected sex with my girlfriend on her third day of her period. I ejaculate inside her, She told me that it’s safe because she’s on her period. After that she went in thar bathroom and told me she cleaned herself. After about 10 minutes (I didn’t Pee) We did it again and I Ejaculate again.
    Now im so Scared I dont know what to do, I always search alot if a women will get pregnant on her period, i dont know what to do.

• HealthyHeels May 16, 2016 / 9:16 am

Hi John, we understand your fear of not wanting to get pregnant, and you’re right that your partner could be pregnant. The hope we’ll give you is that you had sex at the very best time of your partner’s cycle to reduce the likelihood of pregnancy. For future encounters, you’ll want to find a method of contraception that works for you and your partner beyond just having sex on their period. Condoms are a great option for men – but you can also talk with your partner about even more reliable methods. Visit bedsider.org for more info about contraception.

8. vivak singhl April 30, 2016 / 2:04 pm

Hi..my gf is having periods ….it was her first day pf period..i cum in her mouth n a little amount of sperm was on my hand….and after 30 min i touched my gf vagina wid tht had …. Her periods was stopped now…is there any chance of pregnancy…m so worried plzz rply

• HealthyHeels May 16, 2016 / 9:18 am

Hi Vivak, just to be clear semen in or around a mouth will never cause pregnancy (we know that wasn’t your question – but we want to make sure you and all others who read this understand). Most sperm can live outside of a moist environment for about 20 minutes. So if there’s any chance at all, it’s very very VERY small.

9. Guri April 26, 2016 / 11:53 pm

Hi
    My wifetook contraceptive emergency pills on 26 feb and 18th march .then she was reciving her period right after 10 days so her last period was on 28 th march and after 2 days on 30 th march when she was on the last day of her period we had unprotected sex again but this time she didnt took pill, considering low risk of getting pregnent on last day of period and additionaly i saw blood too during intercourse .
    But now todays is her 28 th day from last period and she is not getting her periods.
    Is she pregnant now?

• HealthyHeels May 16, 2016 / 9:19 am

Hi Guri, She could be, yes. Most contraceptive pills are things she would need to take every day around the same time to be effective. Hopefully by now y’all know whether a pregnancy happened or not – sorry for our delay in responding.

10. Millicent April 13, 2016 / 8:44 pm

Hi my name is Milly,this is an amazing forum. all these has been amazing but works well for people with regular periods. I have irregular periods. is this any different if I have sex with my boyfriend on my last day of my period…this is because I don’t have exact days to work with safe days…I miss my periods for a month and come later…

• HealthyHeels May 16, 2016 / 9:26 am

Millicent, the difference for you and others with irregular periods is that it’s more likely for you to become pregnant while having sex on your period. The reason is that sperm can live for up to 5 days inside of a woman, so depending on when your body ovulates (and since it sounds like this changes each month) the sperm may still be alive inside you during that process. Which could result in a pregnancy. Does that make sense? Be in touch if you have more questions.

11. Naicole March 21, 2016 / 1:00 pm

Hi I’m 32 I’ve had my tubes tied. Twice which I now know is not 100% effective. After couple of months not having sex. My boyfriend an I had protected sex the condom broke. Within 45 mins I had heavy bleeding and cramping. He took to the Dr. I have a 4 inch rip inside my cervix. The doctor noticed where my tubes are tied there are small tears. I’m still bleeding like period it’s very painful. It wasn’t due till 31 of this month ( March 2016) Doctor wants me to wait few weeks come on for a pregnancy test. Can I be pregnant??

• HealthyHeels March 21, 2016 / 2:08 pm

Wow, Naicole, that all sounds pretty painful and scary. This is definitely a question to ask your doctor.

• Judy April 17, 2016 / 2:29 pm

I had sex for the first time last night, on my period. This morning I woke up and my period had stopped. Is there anyway I can be pregnant?

• HealthyHeels May 16, 2016 / 9:24 am

Hi Judy, there’s no way to tell based on what happens the morning after sex whether or not you are pregnant. If you are within 5 days of unprotected sex (i.e. no condom nor other form of birth control) and don’t want to be pregnant, you can take Emergency Contraception. If you think you might have sex again sometime soon and aren’t interested in becoming pregnant, you might consider a more reliable contraceptive option. Visit bedsider.org to learn more.

• Swetty April 18, 2016 / 6:55 am

Hai I’m swetty my period is on 16-04-2016 but I have leg pain I had sex with my husband every day today light spotting blood had came can I get pregnant are not or it may be period

• HealthyHeels May 16, 2016 / 9:22 am

Hi Swetty – we don’t know what to say about the leg pain, but you might want to get that checked out. Spotting can happen anytime to a woman – yes, including during pregnancy – but other times too. If you’re saying you are two days late and got light blood, probably yes that’s the start of your period and you’re not pregnant. If you’re trying to get pregnant (hence having sex every day), you might consider checking out http://www.fertaware.com/.

12. Peleuscarter March 20, 2016 / 8:41 am

Please tell me if you you use condom to sleep with a lady who she ovulating is there any chance of pregnancy

13. Brina March 18, 2016 / 4:07 pm

My cycle usually last 6 days me and my boyfriend had unprotected sex on the 5th day on my cycle and he ejaculated in me….could I be pregnant?

• HealthyHeels March 21, 2016 / 2:04 pm

Hi Brina, our stock answer is that it’s possible, yes. If you don’t want to get pregnant, your best bet is to take plan B and find a method of contraception that works for you. If you’re trying to become pregnant, keep having unprotected sex!

14. lavany March 16, 2016 / 6:39 am

Mam,
    I’m Lavanya 29
    There is any chance to getting pregnant if I do sex during my 4th day of period ,I do sex but bleeding is continued my 5th day also.
    My husband and I are trying for a baby and have been having sex a lot .I came on my period on 19/02/2016 to 25/02/16 and also we had sex 24 February ,26th ,28th,1st March ,3rd,5th,7th,9the,11,and 15th can I get pregnant right now? And also I had lot of pain my back and abdomen . thank you

• HealthyHeels March 21, 2016 / 2:02 pm

Hi Lavanya, Thanks for your message and best of luck in getting pregnant! Studies are now showing that doing what you’re doing – having lots of sex throughout your cycle – is the best way to get pregnant. As for the pain in your back and abdomen – you might want to talk with a provider about that. Best of luck!

15. arush March 9, 2016 / 6:33 am

I was having unwanted pregnancy and used medicine for abortion it worked n I got my periods on 1 March. on 5 and 8 March I had sex and now I am worried …. Plz provide me satisfied answer that could I be pregnant…… Although I don’t want to….. I did not took any of the precautions tooo……

• HealthyHeels March 21, 2016 / 1:48 pm

Hi arush – thanks for your honesty about your previous abortion. We know that can be difficult to go through and talk about for some folks – and for others not so much. You might want to take a pregnancy test if you haven’t already, and also speak with a provider about finding a method of contraception that could work for you. Best of luck.

16. piyu March 7, 2016 / 12:49 am

i had my periods on 29th Jan morning and i had sex with my bf…without using protection,I usually have 4 days periods every month without getting late or it never bounced…he Said,he has not putted his sperm into me..and also my periods were normal like other months..!!
    than also,is there any chance to get pragnent. .?? answer fast

• HealthyHeels March 21, 2016 / 1:47 pm

Piyu, there’s always a chance if a person with ovaries and a uterus is having unprotected sex with someone who makes sperm that a pregnancy could occur. We are a bit confused by your specific situation – it’s been a while since January 29th – so if you’re concerned you are pregnant, you can take a test to find out for sure. Good luck!

17. shabsy March 4, 2016 / 6:19 am

I had unpotected sex with my husband just a day before my 1st day of period. my bleeding stopped on 2nd day of my period. Is there any chances of becoming pregnant?

• HealthyHeels March 21, 2016 / 1:45 pm

Our stock answer is always yes there’s a chance. Same is true for you. Good luck!

18. Scarlet March 3, 2016 / 7:45 pm

I had unprotected sex with my bf on the 2nd day of my period, 2/25/16. I’m a vegan and I’ve been craving for flan for a few days now and when I saw one while strolling in a food fair, I bought it immediately and ate it without hesitation. I never craved for anything nonvegan til now, is this just period cravings or is it cravings from pregnancy? How early can I tell the signs of pregancy and how early can I take home pregnacy tests?

• HealthyHeels March 21, 2016 / 1:44 pm

Great questions, Scarlet. Each pregnancy test has different specifics on how soon it is accurate. Many suggest waiting until after you should have started your next period, but there are others which will provide results sooner (and even offer calculators online to let you know when you can take it). You can always visit your local pharmacy and check out what test options they have on hand as well as call your provider or nurse line to ask about details for your situation.

19. Rosalind March 2, 2016 / 2:55 pm

Well I had sex on the fourth day of my period and my period continued till its sixth day. I took a contraceptive pill within 13hours of my sex time. Will I get pregnant? Will there be any side effects of the pill?

• HealthyHeels March 21, 2016 / 1:40 pm

Rosalind, so much depends on whether you were on a contraceptive pill prior to your period starting. But by now, you probably know one way or the other. Let us know if you still have questions – and always know that you can call your medical provider and/or their nurse to ask questions like this in the future.

20. Michell1988 March 1, 2016 / 8:58 am

Hey! I have a question my fiancé and I had sex while I was on my period but it was my first day of being on my period and yes he ejected in me and laid there for a min and I stood afterwards is there a chance I still can get pregnant ?

• HealthyHeels March 1, 2016 / 10:03 am

You are most likely to get pregnant if you have sex around the time of ovulation. Ovulation is when an egg is released from the ovary, and it usually occurs about 14 days after the start of your last period. Many women have unpredictable ovulation or may have spotting at the time of ovulation, which could be confused with a period.
      Plus, sperm can live in a vagina for up to five days.

If you have a regular cycle, are confident this was a typical period, and aren’t super concerned about becoming pregnant, you can hope for the best with the low likelihood of pregnancy here. But if you really don’t want to get pregnant, consider Emergency Contraception (such as Plan B, ella, Plan B One Step or a Copper IUD). Many of these are available at most pharmacies over the counter and are pretty darn effective for up to 5 days after unprotected sex.

There are more reliable methods of contraception than Emergency Contraception. We encourage you to speak with your pharmacist or medical provider about contraception options that might work for you.

21. Ashley February 17, 2016 / 9:45 am

Me and my boyfriend had unprotected sex on the last day of my period. I usually bleed 5 days. He ejaculated inside of me. I laid in the bed for about 10 minutes or less before I got up to pee. I’m not on any kind of birth control. Could I possibly become pregnant? I have irregular periods so it’s hard to tell if I’m ovulating or not. I miss my periods all of the time, but I have never had more than 1 period in 1 month.

• HealthyHeels February 17, 2016 / 11:24 am

Hi Ashley – it is definitely possible for you to be pregnant. If you’re having sex without contraception, you’re actually quite likely to get pregnant. If you don’t want to get pregnant, consider emergency contraception and long term, find a contraceptive method that will work for you.

22. Grace February 12, 2016 / 9:21 pm

Hi, I’m at my ovulation time of the month at the moment and was wondering would having sex, with a condom, delay my period even though it’s 14 days away? As it has in the past?

• HealthyHeels February 17, 2016 / 11:20 am

Hi Grace, great question. We had never heard anything about this phenomenon so we did what we tell y’all not to do – a google search. The only pages that came up weren’t from particularly reputable sources. This likely means that some people notice changes in their cycle after having protected intercourse – like you have, but that cycle changes after protected sex either hasn’t been studied or doesn’t show up in studies. If having a delayed period after protected sex has been your experience, then probably it could happen again. We just can’t find any evidence to show that this is actually a thing. Let us know if you find something online about this – we’d love to read it!

23. confused February 10, 2016 / 10:37 pm

My periods vary each month. However, my last period was the 17th of January and my bfand I been trying to get pregnant but never really know when eexactly my ovulation day is. My breasts have been sore for three weeks, cramping like im going to get my period. We had unprotected sex feb 7-10 and im hoping I can get pregnant. But I started having brownish (like what it does after your period) it comes and it goes for almost two days. A little bit of nerve wreck here bc I really want a baby. Not sure if im miscarrying or if im pregnant or if im getting my period.

• HealthyHeels February 17, 2016 / 11:08 am

Hi Confused – trying to get pregnant can be such a challenge considering timing and emotions. The most recent advice says that the best way to get yourself pregnant is to have sex often. Rather than trying to find your fertile days – especially with a varying cycle – just have sex whenever you feel interested in it, knowing that the more often you have sex, the more likely you will become pregant. As for your spotting, it’s hard to know what that is about without more information, but if you’re still concerned, a visit to your medical provider to talk about what’s happening and to get advice on fertility and prenatal health is always a good option. p.s. are you taking prenatal supplements? It’s important!

24. ceenu February 10, 2016 / 2:50 am

i and my gf had sex that is just 7 to 8 strokes i gave her without a condom and it was her 4 th day of her period and her vagina started bleeding i dnt remember did i have precum on my penis as such but i didnt ejaculate inside her , so can she be pregnant ?

• HealthyHeels February 17, 2016 / 11:03 am

Hi Ceenu – the short answer is yes she could be pregnant. Your situation is a great example of why it’s important to use condoms or some form of contraception anytime intercourse occurs between a man and woman. The likelihood is low, however (less sperm in precum than ejaculate and the timing of the intercourse isn’t ideal for conceiving, just possible) so we’ll hope for the best for y’all. Good luck!

25. sasha February 9, 2016 / 5:28 pm

Hi I started my period yesterday and it started slow but today morning was heavy. Also i had sex with my boyfriend today morning which is my second day of my period and his sperm can in me. my period stop after some hours but i could feel like i am still on my period. am i pregnant?

• HealthyHeels February 17, 2016 / 10:16 am

Hi Sasha – When you and your boyfriend have sex without hormonal contraception (the pill, for example) or a barrier method (like a condom) anytime during your monthly cycle (also known as: anytime) there is a risk of becoming pregnant. We hope that helps.

26. kupper February 8, 2016 / 3:50 pm

we hard sex with my girlfriend when she was on her period,is that possible for her to be pregnant?

• HealthyHeels February 9, 2016 / 11:02 am

Hi Kupper. Yup, it’s possible she’s pregnant. If it’s within 5 days of having sex and y’all don’t want to be pregnant, she could consider taking emergency contraception. Good luck.

27. myheartissherlocked74 February 4, 2016 / 11:20 pm

Hello! I’m just wondering about a few things, if you don’t mind:)
    I was on the third day of my period and my ex put his bare penis in me (without my consent, but that’s another issue for another day…) He didn’t ejaculate in me but he made fun of me and said he had a lot of precum and that I may be pregnant. I know this could be true, but how likely is it?
    Also, is there always implantation bleeding? If I was pregnant, would I have spotted?
    I won’t lie, I wouldn’t be too upset if I was pregnant. In fact, I kind of hope I am. Is that weird since he basically raped me? Am I just slowly losing my mind?

• HealthyHeels February 9, 2016 / 10:52 am

Hello – Thank you for sharing this with us – we are so sorry this happened to you. Pregnancy is possible, yes. It also sounds like you could benefit from speaking to someone about what happened and your feelings around it. If you’re a UNC student, you can visit safe.unc.edu for a comprehensive website of information and resources, or come to Counseling and Psychological Services between 9-12, 1-4 Monday – Thursday and on Friday between 9:30-12 and 1-4 for an appointment to determine the best mental health support for you. If you’re not a UNC student, there is an online hotline at https://ohl.rainn.org/online/ and they also offer a phone hotline at 800-656-HOPE. Also many communities offer support centers for people who have survived experiences like yours. Google “rape crisis center” to find some resources near you.
      You are not losing your mind – after something like this feelings can be all over the place and that is totally normal. Please get the support you need. All the best to you.

28. Paul February 3, 2016 / 5:19 pm

I had sex with a female while on her period. Didn’t cum and she took the day after pill within 24 hours.

Chances of being pregnant?

• HealthyHeels February 9, 2016 / 11:00 am

Hi Paul – short answer: Low. It’s hard to give you an actual number, but the numbers say withdrawl offers about a 78% effectiveness rate with typical use and Plan B One Step (we don’t know if this is what she took or not, though) is about 95% effective if taken within a day of intercourse. When mixed together, you’d have less than a 5% chance of pregnancy. Hope that helps. If you plan to have sex with any more females, we’d encourage you to use a condom so you don’t have as much to worry about regarding pregnancy or STIs. Or if you’re planning to have sex regularly with the same female, talking with her about methods of contraception that could work for both of you. Good luck.

29. Lee Ho February 3, 2016 / 7:06 am

Hi, I’m 21 and I took pills during the time me and my fiancee is on vacation since we dont want a baby coming our way Yet. I had the bleeding after I finished my 21 pills and after the 21 pills he started using condom to be really safe. I wasnt able to start a new pill pack because I wasnt bringing any at the vacation. now its been four weeks and I havent had a regular period. should I be concerned about getting pregnant?

• HealthyHeels February 3, 2016 / 9:13 am

Hi Lee Ho, This is a great question. It sounds like you have some confusion about how the pill works. You can read more about the pill. Generally, the pill is effective after 7 days. If you had sex prior to that time, there’s a potential that you could be pregnant. And the pill isn’t perfect, nor is most people’s use of it (i.e. they forget a day or don’t take it at the same time each day). So yes, you could be pregnant, but it sounds unlikely based on the precautions you and your fiancee took. Many women find that taking the pill changes their cycle, which might be the reason for the delay in your monthly bleed. Stopping and starting the pill definitely brings about hormone fluctuation in your body, which also increases your likelihood for irregular periods. Hope that helps – good luck!

• Lee Ho February 5, 2016 / 7:50 pm

Actually I have my period now. I was being paranoid. I think it’s really delayed. Thanks a lot.:)

30. heaven January 31, 2016 / 6:47 pm

I started my period Saturday nd me nd my bf had sex on Tuesday nd he nutted in me nd my period changed I was spotin for a lil bit after that nd it stoped is there a chance that I’m pregnant ?

• HealthyHeels February 1, 2016 / 9:16 am

Hi Heaven, We get a lot of questions like this. A few bottom lines:
      1. Length of period or change in period is not an indication of pregnancy.
      2. Any question we get that involves sex and “is there a chance that I’m pregnant” – we answer “yes, there’s a chance.” This is true for you as well.
      3. If you don’t want to be pregnant and are having sex, you’ll want to find a contraceptive method that works for you. Learn more about contraception here: https://campushealth.unc.edu/health-topics/sexual-health/contraception. If you’re within 5 days of unprotected sex, consider emergency contraception.
      4. If you do want to get pregnant, tracking your cycle and learning more about fertility can help. http://www.womenshealth.gov/pregnancy/before-you-get-pregnant/trying-to-conceive.html

We hope that helps! Good luck!

31. dianna January 30, 2016 / 10:05 am

i had a sex with a friend bfore 2 days period,…then i had sex after my period with my steady guy and now im pregnant just want to know that the father of my baby is the man i had sex after period we had , many times unprotected sex

• HealthyHeels February 1, 2016 / 9:09 am

Hi Dianna, you’re pregnant! Wow – we hope this is welcome news for you. This is a question for your medical provider – there are lots of specifics we would want to know before giving you an answer online. Good luck with everything!

• Kammara February 5, 2016 / 3:20 pm

Healthy heels,I am 20 and I want to get pregnant.if my period is coming and I stop it with a contraceptive pill, I take 2 of them 1 time..and going to have sex… could I get pregnant I really need to know

• HealthyHeels February 9, 2016 / 10:43 am

Hi Kammara, it sounds like you’re really trying to have a baby! This is a super specific question – there’s not much research out there about what happens to fertility after taking two pills at once and then having sex. What we can tell you is that in general, taking the contraceptive pill when you want to get pregnant is not going to be the most effective way to have a baby. We’d recommend talking with your medical provider to learn more about the best ways to conceive a child. Good luck!

32. Jessica January 29, 2016 / 5:24 pm

Well i am 18 and me and my boyfriend had sex on 01/27 i started my period right after sex. Then the next day i woke up my period stopped out of nowhere. Could i be pregnant??

• HealthyHeels February 1, 2016 / 9:06 am

Hi Jessica, thanks for your question. The length of a period does not indicate that pregnancy. You are still within 5 days of sex, so if you don’t want to be pregnant, you can always ask your medical provider or pharmacist about emergency contraception (today!). Are you using any contraception already? Talk with your medical provider about finding a reliable method that fits your lifestyle, and ask questions to help you feel more confident that the contraception method is working. Learn more about contraception here: https://campushealth.unc.edu/health-topics/sexual-health/contraception.

33. Eliza January 28, 2016 / 5:17 pm

Me and my boyfriend had sex right before my period started, he came inside of me and when i went to the bathroom i noticed I started, but then 3 days later my period just stopped out of no where, Could I maybe be pregnant?

• HealthyHeels February 1, 2016 / 9:03 am

Hi Eliza, yes, possibly you could be pregnant. It’s totally dependent on your cycles – if they are regular, how long they are, etc. But the fact that your period stopped abruptly does not indicate that you are, in fact, pregnant. Periods can stop for lots of reasons! If you’re not wanting to be pregnant, consider using a contraceptive method that instills enough confidence in you that even if you period stops early, you won’t be concerned. Learn more about contraceptives here: https://campushealth.unc.edu/health-topics/sexual-health/contraception.

34. Bharathi January 28, 2016 / 1:36 pm

Hi I have 4 days of missed period, and my home pregnancy test negative. How long I m wait for accurate results, and can I sex with my partner. My last period is 24 the Dec,my cycle 32days .may chance to get pregnant

35. Ashley January 26, 2016 / 7:38 pm

had unprotected sex on my 4th day of my period could i be pregnant ?

• HealthyHeels February 1, 2016 / 8:56 am

Hi Ashley,
      The short answer is yup, you could be pregnant. If you don’t want to be pregnant and you are still within 5 days of the unprotected sex, you can consider taking emergency contraception. Good luck!

36. t January 25, 2016 / 7:42 pm

Question
    I just got finished with post pardom bleeding, my husband and I didn’t exactly have sex, he stuck it in once but I started freaking out because I don’t want another kid and am currently waiting for a Dr appointment to get my tubes tied, but when we did this I was bleeding then the next day I stopped. No he didnt ejaculate inside of me, like I said he only stuck it in once.
    What could be the cause of me stop bleeding the next day?

• HealthyHeels February 1, 2016 / 9:19 am

Hi T,
      This sounds like a great question to ask your doctor or nurse line. After having a baby your body is trying to get back to normal, and that’s a process. Your bleeding that stopped the next day is likely an indication of your body finding its new normal. But yes, pregnancy is a (very) slight possibility. Good luck!

37. Ashley January 18, 2016 / 9:34 pm

If a guy already ejaculates in you on your period how long does it take for your period to stop

• HealthyHeels January 25, 2016 / 1:18 pm

Hi Ashley, as far as we know, the length of a period does not change if a man ejaculates inside someone having their period. In other words, the period would last as long as it would have otherwise. Typically, a period lasts between 2 and 7 days. Longer periods can occur, especially during the first few years of getting one’s period, after switching hormonal birth control methods or after stopping hormonal birth control. If you or someone you know is having an excessively long period, you can always visit a medical provider to ask questions about your specific situation.

38. Nancy December 20, 2015 / 9:52 pm

pls wat could be the cause of me having my mense twice a month even though i have unprotected sex

• Sara Stahlman December 28, 2015 / 1:54 pm

This is a great question, Nancy. Every woman’s cycle is different so this might just be your cycle. I also don’t know anything about your health history or medications, so it’s difficult for me to give you any info about your situation. You might want to visit your medical provider to learn more. Also – remember unprotected sex can lead to STI transmission and (if you’re having sex with someone who ejaculates semen) pregnancy – so consider using protection to avoid those situations if desired. If you are, in fact, wanting to get pregnant, you’ll want to track your current menstrual pattern and visit your medical provider to learn more about preconception information (like taking vitamin supplements) and fertility information (like when you’re most likely to become pregnant). I hope that’s helpful!

39. candy December 20, 2015 / 4:34 am

hi m 18 years old i had unprotected sex on 5 day of my period though on the same day i took i pill and on 9th day after sex i am having bleeding… is this implantation bleeding or periods… plz tell me fast i don’t want child right now m really very stressed..

• Sara Stahlman December 28, 2015 / 1:49 pm

I can tell that you’re stressed about this, Candy! Hopefully this has all been resolved by now – sorry for our delay in responding. We were on holiday. If someone else reading has this same question: There’s no way to tell what this bleeding means without waiting for a few more days and taking a pregnancy test. But you can always visit your provider to talk more about your symptoms and the timing of everything. Good luck!

40. Goji December 16, 2015 / 3:54 am

What we hapn when i hv sex after the day i finish my period.

• Sara Stahlman December 28, 2015 / 1:45 pm

Hey Goji – “what will happen?” is a broad question to answer and almost impossible knowing as little as we know about you. You’d be better off discussing this with your medical provider. But in general: In many cases, the answer will be not much out of the ordinary after having sex any time of the month. But if your question is specifically about pregnancy (as many of the questions below this post are), yes, you could become pregnant if your sex was with someone who ejaculates semen. If your question is more about general after-sex info, you might notice some spotting, you might want to think about STI transmission, you might want to have conversations with your partner about what you liked and what you might want to do differently next time, and ask the same about their experience. If you have a more specific question that we didn’t address in this response, please let us know.

41. kate mulaudzi December 10, 2015 / 4:25 am

Is it possible to became pregnant and still see your periods

• Sara Stahlman December 10, 2015 / 10:28 am

Hi Kate,
      If we define a period as the shedding of the uterine lining, then no, it’s not possible to become pregnant and still have a period. However, many women experience spotting during pregnancy. Significant spotting and/or blood can have important medical relevance during a pregnancy, so a medical provider should know if any spotting is happening to you while pregnant.

42. Ahuja December 4, 2015 / 4:10 am

I and my girlfriend had protected sex(condom) on the 1st day of her cycle i.e 4th Nov. She is expecting her periods on 2nd of Dec (as per 28 days) . But it’s already late by 3 days. When can she expect her periods. Help.

• HealthyHeels December 9, 2015 / 2:33 pm

Sorry it took us so long to respond, but hopefully by now, she’s had her period and you’re feeling relieved. But to ensure you don’t have this stress in the future, consider using a more reliable form of contraception in addition to condoms. There are lots of options, and most of them are well worth it for the reassurance that pregnancy is less likely. Condoms are pretty reliable, but there’s also a high chance for user error – such as not putting them on soon enough, not leaving room at the tip, using an expired condom, and more. So keep using those condoms, but think about a backup method to help keep your mind at ease if her period is late again. Good luck!

43. jeey December 4, 2015 / 12:35 am

I always have unprotected sex wit my boyfriend….n I don’t get pregnant what may be the problem??¿?¿m sooo worried

• HealthyHeels December 9, 2015 / 2:29 pm

There are many factors that impact fertility. If you want to get pregnant and are having trouble, you should visit your medical provider to talk more about ways to increase your chances of becoming a parent. Good luck!

44. Concerned person December 3, 2015 / 6:58 pm

If you become pregnant during your period will your period stop or continue as normal for that cycle?

• HealthyHeels December 9, 2015 / 2:28 pm

Great question. Let’s start with how a menstrual / reproductive cycle works. The uterus’ lining builds up to create a safe place for an egg to be fertilized, implant into the uterine wall and grow. When an egg isn’t fertilized or doesn’t implant, pregnancy doesn’t occur resulting that uterine lining leaving the body in the form of a monthly period. After that period, the lining usually needs a bit of time to build up again before it is in a place to support fertilization of an egg, implantation and growth again. So, one could assume that in most cases where a pregnancy happens due to unprotected sex while one partner is on their period, fertilization and implantation happens after the bleeding has ended. Meaning that after sex (at least from a pregnancy perspective) the period has a good chance of continuing as normal and pregnancy could still occur. That being said, women do report shorter periods after having intercourse (protected or unprotected). The theory is that any muscle spasms that occur during intercourse in the uterus, cervix or vagina (via orgasm or otherwise) can help expel blood and uterine tissue more quickly, resulting in a shorter period. In other words, it seems like it’s the intercourse that has the most impact on length of a period, not a pregnancy. So you won’t be able to tell if someone is pregnant based on whether their period stops or keeps flowing after having sex.

45. Courtney November 26, 2015 / 9:05 pm

So I have a question me and my bf have had unprotected sex during my period and it automatically stopted right after is it normal and is there a possibility that I became pregnant?

• HealthyHeels November 30, 2015 / 4:34 pm

Hi Courtney. Good question – periods are strange and unpredictable, just like ovulation and cycles. That’s why if you’re a person with ovaries and you have sex with a person with a penis, you are always at risk of becoming pregnant. If that’s your situation and you want to avoid pregnancy, consider contraceptive options by visiting your medical provider or pharmacist.

46. Phaisha November 23, 2015 / 5:29 pm

I use to have my period towards the end of the months but this month is different because I had sex with my husband on 09/11 and I saw my period on 11/11…..Hope there is no chances of getting pregnant

• HealthyHeels November 30, 2015 / 4:32 pm

There are lots of reasons why your period may skip or come late – stress, nutrition, and yes, pregnancy being a few of those reasons. If you are a person with ovaries and you are or might have sex with a person with a penis, you might want to consider contraception to be more certain that pregnancy won’t occur. Talk with a medical provider for more details. Good luck!

47. may November 22, 2015 / 11:13 am

I had sex with my boyfriend and i had sex the fourth day of my period . We had sex 3 times in that day and he cam inside me 2 times maybe 3.. my period is almost done now. But could i end up pregnant ??
    I started my period on a Monday and had sex on a thursday and today is Sunday and my period is stopping .

Idk how to use this website i cant see my post .

• HealthyHeels November 30, 2015 / 4:30 pm

Sorry for the confusion – we have it set to approve posts, but obviously don’t get to the computer 24/7 (especially around holidays!). We hope our response to your original post was helpful.

48. may November 22, 2015 / 11:11 am

• HealthyHeels November 30, 2015 / 4:29 pm

Hi May. Thanks for your question. If you’ve noticed any themes in our responses, it’s that the answer is almost always, “Yes, you could be pregnant.” The same is true for you. Remember that everyone’s cycle is different and that sperm can survive for up to 5 days – so pretty much anytime someone with ovaries has sex with someone with a penis without using contraception, there is a chance of pregnancy.

49. akku November 19, 2015 / 9:43 am

hello mam, plz clear my doubt, i had sex with my husband at night and i suddenly got my periods after sex.. and i am undergoing a 2 day miss of periods.. am i pregnant?

• HealthyHeels November 30, 2015 / 4:27 pm

Hi Akku, it’s possible, yes. Take a pregnancy test to find out for sure.

50. Grace November 13, 2015 / 7:33 am

helIo,ihad sex on d last day of my period in which I normally av lil or no flow at all…but he made use of a condom but after having sex blood started coming
    out for a while but later stopped….can I get pregnant with dat?

• HealthyHeels November 13, 2015 / 2:15 pm

Using a condom is a great way to minimize your risk of getting pregnant. There is still a chance of pregnancy with typical condom use (for example if the condom broke or wasn’t used or put on correctly – and even when folks report they did everything “right,” sometimes pregnancy still happens with condoms). We wouldn’t recommend using your blood flow as a way to gauge likelihood of pregnancy. You can always take Plan B to provide another way to minimize your likelihood of pregnancy (if you had sex within the last 5 days), or a pregnancy test to determine if you are actually pregnant (if it’s been over 2 weeks…ish). If you don’t want to have this kind anxiety in the future, consider a visit to a medical provider for a more reliable form of birth control.

51. Meg November 11, 2015 / 5:09 am

I had my period on Oct 3rd, it was heavy or 3 days then I spotted for 2, I’ve been with my boyfriend for 9 months now we haven’t used any protection In probably 8 months!!! We haven’t been getting alone for a few weeks on Friday Oct 16th I took the plan b pill.. Had no symptoms at all. On Oct 22nd I started bleeding for 15 days straight till Nov 4th, we had intercourse Oct 26th, and 28th, And Again on Nov 4th, and 6th!! When we had intercourse on Nov 4th he ejaculated Twice unprotected and I stopped bleeding!! A few different thing’s say I was ovulating Nov 4th, 5th and the 6th, I’m wondering if it was the pill that made me bleed 15 days straight or was it just a long period, I have 3 kids already and I do not take any birth control so I’m guessing there is a chance I could be right now, right?

• HealthyHeels November 11, 2015 / 2:12 pm

Wow, Meg! We need to get our calendar to follow this, which clearly tells us that this issue is pretty specific to your situation. We don’t offer individual medical information on our blog and encourage you to call or visit your medical provider to ask your question or get a pregnancy test (because in a nutshell, yes you might be pregnant).

• Meg November 11, 2015 / 9:36 pm

Could you explain to my why the Ovia app tells me that I’m fertile on the 4th 5th and the 6th, then again on 28th 29th and the 30th, I thought you were fertile 6 days straight how 3 days the beginning of the month then 3 days at the end of the month?!!

52. Sam November 7, 2015 / 5:36 am

Hi there, I’m a little concern… My husband and I are trying for a baby and ha ve been having sex a lot. I came on my period on 29/10/15 and on the 1/11/15 we had sex. My period after having the implant taken out was extremly heavy, but after having sex it all stop straight away.

Now, when we had sex my husband’s sperm bank went inside me and no sign of any mess. Since that day (1/11/15) my husband’s sperm bank doesn’t seem to want to stay in me. Could this mean I could be pregnant and that’s why I’m rejecting his mess or could it mean something else….?

• HealthyHeels November 9, 2015 / 4:49 pm

Hi Sam – it sounds like an exciting time for y’all! We would not suggest basing your perception of whether or not you’re pregnant on his ejaculate staying inside or coming out of your body. A pregnancy test and/or a visit or call to your medical provider to talk about preconception planning (like folic acid supplements!) are better options. Good luck!

53. Ayesha Khatoon November 4, 2015 / 8:14 am

There is any chances of getting pregnant if do sex during periods, on 3rd day of period i do sex but bleesing is contineu after doing sex for 2 days?
    Can i know pregnancy result using pregnency kit after 12 days of doing sex.

• HealthyHeels November 5, 2015 / 11:24 am

Hi Ayesha, Good questions. You could be pregnant regardless of whether your bleeding continues in the days after sex. Remember that women’s ovulation patterns vary, so if you ovulate within 5 days of penile-vaginal sex, sperm could still be present. As for pregnancy tests, every brand varies. Most providers recommend you wait until you miss a period, which in your case could be almost a month later. If you’re concerned about your chance of pregnancy, we recommend you connect with a medical provider to discuss birth control options that might result in less anxiety about become pregnant. If you’re a UNC student or post-doc, you can request an appointment online at healthyheels.unc.edu.

54. Stephanie c October 29, 2015 / 6:07 pm

I had sex with my boyfriend during my period , I was barley bleeding I just wanted to know if I’m pregnant will my period stop or will it continue ?

• HealthyHeels November 3, 2015 / 1:37 pm

Hi Stephanie – that’s a great question. Remember that you could become pregnant up to 5 days after having sex. AND since you said you were barely bleeding, this may have been spotting, and not your regularly monthly bleed. Both of those are reasons why the bleeding could continue or stop – and neither would tell you a thing about being pregnant. Hope that helps. If you have more questions, visit or call your medical provider.

55. Bianca October 29, 2015 / 8:04 am

I had sex during my period then it stopped so the next day I took plan b after 3 days I got brownish blood what does that mean

• HealthyHeels October 29, 2015 / 2:28 pm

Spotting after taking Plan B is totally normal. If you have any further specific questions, see your medical provider or pharmacist.

56. Zaridra October 16, 2015 / 12:29 am

I had a question. When I had sex with my partner today, I was on my period (I was on the fourth day) We had sex, and use protection, and pulled out. I should be fine, right? I didn’t want to get any disease or get pregnant.

• HealthyHeels October 16, 2015 / 9:49 am

Zaridra, it seems like y’all took some helpful precautions to avoid pregnancy and STIs. You can talk to your medical provider or pharmacist if you have more questions about specifics around what you did or didn’t do (i.e. what “protection” did you use) or if you’re interested in learning about contraceptive options that are more effective than pulling out and condoms (assuming that’s what you mean by “protection”). Good luck and thanks for your question.

57. Shraddha October 9, 2015 / 4:45 am

hi ,

Sir/Mam,

my name is Shraddha and i 17 years old and my period date is 29, but in last month September my period came on 14 September after that i had my 1st sex with my boyfriend on 3rd October with sefty and after sex he gave i pill also, but after having an i pill i vomet in 15 min . and we both are in tens but my date is coming and i really felling like a period , so i just want to confirm that my period will come na or it i,ll get miss ? please help me with this i am really tens plz plz plz need ur tips and am giving ma boyfriend’s mail id Please help me😦

• HealthyHeels October 9, 2015 / 11:20 am

Hi Shraddha,
      It sounds like you’re feeling pretty anxious about this. From what you wrote, it seems like you and your boyfriend did what you could to minimize your risks while having sex. I’m assuming “with sefty” means with a condom and “after sex he gave i pill” means you took emergency contraception after having sex, but then threw up. Using a condom is a fantastic way to minimize risk of pregnancy and STI transmission. Taking emergency contraception after intercourse is another way to minimize chances of pregnancy, although with the vomit soon after, it sounds like your body may not have had enough time to absorbed the pill. In any case, based on your feeling of being “tens” (tense?), you might want to set an appointment with a medical provider or talk with a pharmacist. There are contraceptive methods that are more effective than condoms and more effective than emergency contraception. If you and your boyfriend had sex once, there’s a chance you might have sex again, and finding a reliable contraceptive method would help minimize your anxiety after future intercourse. For now, you can also consider purchasing and taking a pregnancy test if waiting for your period to arrive is making you crazy. Take good care.

• Shraddha October 12, 2015 / 12:44 am

Hey hi,

Thank u so.. much for ur helpful tips nd i got ma period its start now and i really happy now coz its start . and one more thing i would like to ask u that if i want to do sex again with my boyfriend so, what would u suggest for me for that ? please tell me i want to know clear picture about that plzz plzz tell me i waiting ..

• HealthyHeels October 16, 2015 / 9:53 am

Taking the iPill after you had sex communicates to us that you weren’t comfortable with the condom being your only form of pregnancy protection. So we’d suggest you visit your medical provider and discuss contraceptive options that might make you feel more confident in their effectiveness. If you’re a student or post-doc (or partner of a post-doc) at UNC, make an appointment by calling 919-966-2281 or visiting healthyheels.unc.edu and logging in with your ONYEN.

58. sino September 20, 2015 / 6:04 pm

I need help am lost.its been 10days since.I had a baby and am on my period I slept with my man without using a condom but I am on contaceptive injection of 3 months so can I be pregnant?

• HealthyHeels September 22, 2015 / 11:48 am

Hi Sino – thanks for your question. We really can’t offer personal advice, but the shot is pretty effective for three months. If it’s been three months or longer since your shot, you do have a chance of being pregnant. Consider calling or visiting your medical provider.

59. Tatty September 14, 2015 / 2:03 am

Hi, I know it may be a high possibility but I wanted your opinion…

I was diagnosed with PCOS a few years back so my periods were always erratic and only ever last 3-4 days, but so far this year my periods have been every month, some 28 days others 31 or 36 so I can never tell when I am actually due on…

Well about 32 days ago I started my period which was heavy and painful but I had unprotected sex with a mate about 11hrs in (which relieved the Cramps) but within an hour my period stopped and never restarted…

Basically I guess I’m asking if there’s that chance I could be pregnant xx

• HealthyHeels September 18, 2015 / 11:21 am

Hi Tatty, Thanks for your question. I don’t know if you’ve noticed a theme in our responses to folks’ questions, but in general, the answer is usually, yes there’s a chance. The same is true for you. You can look into emergency contraception up to 5 days after unprotected intercourse or take a pregnancy test to find out for sure. Good luck!

60. Ruby September 13, 2015 / 10:11 am

yea. thanks

61. Ruby September 11, 2015 / 1:59 pm

when u don’t want 2 get pregnant and u had a sex with your Husband during your flow how possible is it that you will get pregnant

• HealthyHeels September 11, 2015 / 3:56 pm

Ruby that is a great question and difficult to answer. In our research, we haven’t seen any data to give you an answer on this. The main takeaway is that that it is possible to become pregnant at any point in your cycle. Some women do practice fertility awareness as their method of contraception. That means they track their cycle and don’t have sex on the days where they could get pregnant. There are an average of 13 days per cycle where a woman cannot have sex, and there are varying levels of tracking one’s cycle. With typical use of fertility awareness, 1 in 4 women become pregnant in a year. That’s all to say that a person could plan to only have intercourse during menstruation with the hopes of not becoming pregnant, and at least based on the only data we could find, 75% of those women would not become pregnant for at least a year. In other words, there are loads of better (read: more effective, less calendar-intensive) contraceptive methods one could use – methods where over 99% of women would not become pregnant in a year. Hope that helps!

62. mirapal September 11, 2015 / 8:36 am

Hi,i had sex with my husband on my 2nd day of period.i.e 4th sep evening i got period and on 5th sep moring i had sex.he said he didnt ejaculate .sex was only for 3 mins.On 6th sep 7.30am i took i-pill.Usually i got bleeding on my period for 3days.But this time its 7 days but still i got bleeding.Is it a side effect of i-pill?
    In 2014 i took i-pill 1st time but i didnt get any side effect.But this time i am scaring bcz of this bleeding and i took this i-pill in my period time?M i pregnant???

• HealthyHeels September 11, 2015 / 3:43 pm

Hi Mirapal – that’s a lot to keep track of in there. I’m having a hard time following – but in general, when women take emergency contraception, it can result in fluxuations in a typical menstrual cycle including what I think you’re describing above. Most of the time, extra bleeding would not be an indication that you are pregnant. We hope that helps, and don’t be afraid to call your provider, pharmacist or a nurse line to ask about your specific situation. Good luck!

• mirapal September 11, 2015 / 9:24 pm

Hi,Thanks for your early reply.I have doubt thet its my 9th day of period.Now also i m lit bit bleeding after taking that i-pill.Is it normal ?Will i get my next period in time or it will be late.Is it the chance of pregnancy.

63. Celia September 8, 2015 / 12:52 pm

I just had sex with my boyfriend whilst on my period and I’m feeling major pain in my stomach, vaginal area and partially my butt. Did I do something wrong or what?

• HealthyHeels September 11, 2015 / 3:31 pm

Hi Celia. Thanks for your comment – we can’t offer individual medical advice on this blog. It sounds like you might benefit from visiting with a medical provider to talk about what’s happening with your body. Or you could call a nurse line to ask for advice on your specific situation. Best of luck and hope you’re feeling better.

64. Charlie September 2, 2015 / 4:47 am

Will my girlfriend be pregnant if we had sex on her 1st day period and we only had sex for 5 min without me cumming?

• HealthyHeels September 11, 2015 / 3:30 pm

Well, the short answer is maybe. There is a small amount of ejaculate that occurs prior to orgasm that does contain sperm. But you have a lot of odds in your favor. We realize you asked this 9 days ago now, so hopefully you have resolved whether or not your girlfriend is pregnant at this point. Consider finding a method of contraception that you can use consistently regardless of the time of the month.

65. ramesh August 29, 2015 / 8:29 am

I sex with a married women when she is on her periods…..so,is there any risk of stds or hiv plzz reply me..

• HealthyHeels August 30, 2015 / 7:57 pm

Yes – STDs (including HIV) are a risk with sexual intercourse – whether the person is married or on her period or not. Consider speaking with your sex partners to discuss STD and HIV status prior to sexual intercourse. At this point, you’ll want to connect with your medical provider to learn more about which STDs might be a risk for you, methods to prevent transmission during future intercourse and to be tested.

66. roxana August 29, 2015 / 5:03 am

Hi i had sex with my bf today i thought i was not in my period anymore because it stop but then when he cum in me i was bleeding ???could i get pregnant like that??? Plz answer me i need 2 know ?

• HealthyHeels August 30, 2015 / 7:53 pm

A woman can get pregnant anytime her eggs come into contact with sperm which is more likely during unprotected sex (meaning without a hormonal or barrier contraception like condoms or the pill). YES – you could be pregnant. Please speak with your provider or a pharmacist to talk about emergency contraception. You’ll also want to learn more about how pregnancy occurs and seek a method of contraception that you can use regularly. If you’re a UNC student, call CHS at 919-966-2281 to set up an appointment.

67. monika August 29, 2015 / 2:50 am

hi is there any chance of sexual diseases if intercourse happens on 4th day of periods and is pregnancy possible on 4th day of periods

• HealthyHeels August 30, 2015 / 7:50 pm

STI’s are always a risk, and the timing of one’s period does not change that risk at all. Pregnancy is always a risk when there’s a chance an egg and a sperm might meet which can happen at any point of one’s period so yes, pregnancy is possible on the 4th day of periods. I’d recommend you speak with your provider to ask about emergency contraception and STI testing, as well as to get more details about your specific risks.

68. noza August 27, 2015 / 1:12 pm

Hi. My husband he want it ,, an its my 1st day period ,, can I give him ,, is it safe ? An I don’t want him to use Condom.

• HealthyHeels August 27, 2015 / 8:29 pm

Hi Noza, Thank you for your question. If you’re concerned about not wanting to get pregnant, then you’ll want to find some form of birth control (if condoms aren’t your thing, pick another!) to avoid pregnancy on your first day of your period and at any other time you and husband choose to have sex. Speak with your medical provider if you have further questions.

• Isabel January 5, 2016 / 4:19 am

Hi my boyfriend and I had sex on the second day I started my period. and the the third day I didn’t get it..is it possible that I got pregnant?

• HealthyHeels January 11, 2016 / 2:02 pm

Hi Isabel, if you read our responses to the questions on this blog post, most always the answer is “yes you could be pregnant.” That’s the case for you as well, but if it’s been less than 5 days since you had unprotected sex and you don’t want to become pregnant, you can take emergency contraception (available over the counter) to decrease your likelihood of pregnancy. Again, as we mentioned in other responses, having sex on your period is not a way to avoid pregnancy. You’ll want to use a condom or another form birth control if you don’t want to get pregnant. If you are trying to become pregnant, there is loads of information online about fertility and timing that you can look at. Good luck!

• Angela February 3, 2016 / 3:40 pm

Hi , my boyfriend and i had unprotected sex on the last day of my period .. But i have been taking a birth controll pill 6 days now ..he did not ejaculate in me … Can i get pregnant?

• HealthyHeels February 9, 2016 / 10:54 am

Hi Angela, it sounds like your chances are pretty low but pregnancy is still a possibility. We can’t really tell by your question if you started the birth control pill prior to sex or after it, though – if you started the pill prior to this sexual encounter, your chances are even lower. Good luck.

69. prajakta August 12, 2015 / 6:18 am

i want to have sex but its my first day of period
    so can i have it…
    an will i get pregnant..

70. bujji July 23, 2015 / 4:40 am

i can have protected sex with my husband on 4th day of my periods……..we can have r not…

71. Solomon ishaya July 15, 2015 / 4:00 am

Am really happy to come across this blog, but i still have some confusion. The question is will a woman get pregnant after five days of her period if she had sex?

• HealthyHeels July 20, 2015 / 3:33 pm

A woman can get pregnant anytime her eggs come into contact with sperm which usually comes from unprotected (meaning without a hormonal or barrier contraception like condoms or the pill). If that behavior occurred prior to her having a five day period, she is not pregnant. If, on the other hand, she had unprotected penile-vaginal intercourse during or after her period, there’s a chance that she could become pregnant.

72. sega July 8, 2015 / 5:25 am

Hi… i have sex with my partiner during her period.but after the sex she take E-pill and after the pill her period stop….

• HealthyHeels July 20, 2015 / 3:30 pm

Levonogestrel pills, including the brands Plan B One-Step and Next Choice One Dose, are up to 89 percent effective when taken within 72 hours (three days) after unprotected sex. They continue to reduce the risk of pregnancy up to 120 hours (five days) after unprotected sex, but they are less effective as time passes. It sounds like you are in that first window of time, meaning most likely you are not pregnant. If you want to be sure, you can visit your provider (Campus Health, if you’re a student at UNC) for a pregnancy test or to ask more questions. You can also find pregnancy tests at your local pharmacy.

73. geomar July 5, 2015 / 8:36 am

hi im geomar my wife had period in a 4rth day we sex we both honest to each other there be possible that we get hiv or std when she get menstruation? what is possible happen after sex ?!

thanks.

• HealthyHeels July 6, 2015 / 8:43 am

Anytime you have sex with someone, you put yourself at risk for STDs. You and your wife can be tested for STDs at Campus Health if you’re a student at UNC, or at your local health care provider. You can minimize risk of transmission in several ways – only have sex with your wife and your wife only has sex with you, use a barrier (dental dam, condom) to minimize skin-to-skin contact and fluid transmission, and limit the number of lifetime sex partners you have. Learn more about reducing your STD risk at http://bedsider.tumblr.com/post/47714484047/comprehensive-safer-sex-2-reduce-your-risk

74. Prasen June 26, 2015 / 2:21 pm

I have sex with protection on 5th April. then Periods came on 15th April. After this period not till coming 2month…!! Is she pregnant….????

• HealthyHeels July 6, 2015 / 8:46 am

Prasen, if she has not had sex between April 5th and had a period on April 15th, pregnancy is not likely. If you’re feeling worried, pregnancy tests are available for purchase at the Healthy Heels Shoppe in the ground floor of Campus Health.

75. mikel June 18, 2015 / 10:59 am

Me and my girlfriend had unprotected sex but i didn’t cum inside her and after we had sex like 10 minutes after we started again but it lasted like 5 min but i never came again and it was on the 3rd day of her period and her blood stopped for a while and started again. Is she possibly pregnant?

• HealthyHeels June 22, 2015 / 10:44 am

This can all be quite scary and complicated. To make it easy – yes, it’s a possibility. Emergency Contraception is an option for up to 5 days after you’ve had unprotected sex and can be purchased over the counter at most pharmacies. Remember that sperm can be released without ejaculation, and sperm can live for up to 5 days after sex. That time might be long enough to survive until one of your girlfriend’s eggs is released. Egg + sperm = pregnancy. Consider discussing options for contraception with your girlfriend so you can avoid the stress of situations like this. A pharmacist or provider can discuss with you your options at this point as well as options for the future. If you’re a UNC student, make an appointment at Campus Health by calling 919-966-2281 or stop in at our pharmacy for Emergency Contraception and a conversation with a pharmacist.

76. tumi May 17, 2015 / 1:52 pm

Is it possible for me and my bf to be sick when we had unprotected sex mean while I was on my periods

• HealthyHeels June 15, 2015 / 10:02 am

To be sick? You mean get a cold? Yes, it’s possible to get a cold at any time, and that includes while having unprotected sex while on your period – although one has little to do with the other. Hope that helps!

77. vane May 8, 2015 / 6:01 am

If I had sex during my 4th day of my period and we had unprotected sex but he didnt cum inside me . Can i still get pregnant?

• HealthyHeels June 15, 2015 / 10:03 am

It’s always a possibility, yes. You can take emergency contraception to help avoid pregnancy after unprotected sex, but we’d encourage you to find a more reliable method of birth control. Contact your provider for details or visit Campus Health if you’re a UNC student.

78. precious April 20, 2015 / 3:35 pm

If I had a sex during my periods but we use protection what will happen??

• HealthyHeels April 22, 2015 / 12:03 pm

Hi precious, Thanks for reading and commenting! We don’t offer medical advice on specific situations over our blog. In general – having sex with a condom as protection offers a lower risk of pregnancy and STI transmission. This is true even when you have sex during your period. Hope that helps!

79. Pyon March 28, 2015 / 11:27 am

I had sex with my bf on my first day (afternoon) second day (afternoon) and third day (dawn) of my period he cum inside me only once per day on my third day in the evening my period has gone slowly my period usually goes slow on the 4th day so I’m scared am I pregnant ? On the first day and second day my period is super fast. I have 28-30 cycle sometimes upto 40 when I’m stressed in school work

• HealthyHeels April 6, 2015 / 2:06 pm

Hi Pyon,
      Thanks for your question. We cannot answer specific situations like yours, but encourage you to visit your provider for advice and, if necessary, emergency contraception and/or a pregnancy test. We can tell you that risk for pregnancy increases with more instances of unprotected penile/vaginal intercourse. We strongly suggest if you indeed are not pregnant and do not wish to become pregnant, that you consider finding a method of birth control that works for you. Check out http://bedsider.org/methods for details.

80. brian January 12, 2015 / 6:42 am

I was just wondering if it is safe to have sex when your partner is at the end of her period and you didnt use any condom. Will it be exposed to STD? Or HIV? i ve been bothered for weeks now and i had this high fever,vomiting, dnt feel lile eating. Pls reply asap thank you!

• HealthyHeels January 13, 2015 / 10:35 am

Hi Brian,
      We don’t offer medical advice on specific situations over our blog. In general – having sex without a condom at any point in your partner’s menstrual cycle leaves both of you vulnerable to STD or HIV transmission. We encourage you to visit your doctor if you’re not feeling well to ask more about your specific symptoms and situation. If you’re a UNC student, you can request an appointment from Campus Health online at healthyheels.unc.edu or by calling 919-966-2281.

• daniel November 13, 2015 / 11:10 am

can be continue sex while my wife delay menstration for 6days

• HealthyHeels November 13, 2015 / 2:18 pm

If your wife consents, you can have sex anytime y’all desire. Some women delay menstruation by using birth control pills. If that’s your situation, birth control pills, when used correctly, are a highly reliable method of contraception. If your wife’s period is late but not because of hormonal contraception and you don’t want to get pregnant, consider another form of contraception like condoms.

81. Laura December 3, 2013 / 3:00 pm

If you have unprotected sex on the first day of your period can you still get pregnant?

• uncchsmedia December 4, 2013 / 9:11 am

Laura, yes it is possible to become pregnant while on your period. Consider taking emergency contraception or calling your medical provider to discuss your specific pregnancy chances.

82. cindy November 10, 2013 / 9:34 pm

If you had unprocted sex while you had your period , to avoid getting pregnant if you take the pill plan b will it still work ?

• uncchsmedia November 11, 2013 / 9:17 am

Plan B is about 85% effective in preventing unwanted pregnancies when taken with 5 days of unprotected penile/vaginal intercourse. This is true whether you’re on your period or not. Hope that helps! If you have further questions, call your medical provider or pharmacist for more information. If you’re a UNC student, call 919.966.2281.

83. Ashley August 6, 2013 / 9:21 pm

Thanks:) I cannot tell you how long ive been stressing! at first i thought i was pregnant because i had sex (protected/with condom) on the first day of my period and It just stopped coming after, I thought i was pregnant because i started getting back pains and my period didnt run at all after the first day i tried it.. I went to the clinic and they told me i was fine but on the internet on another website it said it is possible to get pregnant with a condom, and i was really scared because im only 17 and i dont want a child at a early age.. this made me want to stop having sex until i turn 30 and married:D

• Melissa October 3, 2013 / 4:38 am

Hi Ashley wow thanks a lot for that I was so stressed out last weekend I had intercourse for the first time and we had unprotected sex while on my period and when it just went away I really panicked I’m 17 as well mwahugz thanks a lot Ladies…*wink*

• uncchsmedia October 3, 2013 / 9:45 am

Melissa, not to freak you out but as we mentioned above, it IS POSSIBLE to get pregnant while on your period. In Ashley’s case, she didn’t get pregnant after having sex on the first day of her period – and if you have a regular cycle, if you had sex on the first day of your period it’s unlikely that you would ovulate soon enough to become pregnant. It is just all so individual that there’s no way to know for sure in your situation. If it’s been less than 5 days since you had unprotected sex and you’re still worried, you can get and take emergency contraception over the counter to decrease your likelihood of pregnancy. Again, as we mentioned above, having sex on your period is not contraception (a way to avoid pregnancy). You’ll want to use a condom or another form birth control.

84. Sofia lopes August 1, 2013 / 4:32 am

So if I want to get pregnant then I could just have sex while I am on my period?? Will that help? Like if I have sex towards the end of my period will tht help me get pregnant?

• Sara Stahlman August 2, 2013 / 9:26 pm

Sofia, if you’re trying to become pregnant, we recommend a prenatal visit with your medical provider to ensure you’re doing everything you can to have a healthy pregnancy (such as taking 400mg of folic acid each day for at least three months prior to conception). In terms of the timing – consider tracking your cycles. For a woman with a 28 day cycle, ovulation is likely to begin 14 days after her period started. However, for many women it’s a bit more complicated than that as many women have irregular and/or longer cycles. Body basal temperature and cervical mucous can help determine the timing for your ovulation patterns. Your provider can help you with tips for maximizing your chances for becoming pregnant. Good luck!

85. aj July 23, 2013 / 10:00 pm

My partner and I always do it. oral as well Just put a towel under you and lay on your back so its not messy ! During oral my flow always stops and it only gets a bit messy after intercourse. It really helps ease my cramping and it relaxes me a lot and I always have a nice sleep after.

86. Hello great blog! Does running a blog like this take a great deal of work?
    I have no expertise in computer programming but I was hoping to start my own blog soon.
    Anyhow, should you have any recommendations or tips for new blog owners please share.
    I know this is off subject nevertheless I simply wanted
    to ask. Thanks a lot!

• Sara Stahlman May 21, 2013 / 9:26 am

Glad you like the blog! A blog can take as much or as little work as you desire – but we do think that a good one will take a solid amount of effort in the design and maintenance of the blog.

• nicky Garcia January 9, 2016 / 3:50 am

I wannaknow if I can be pregent because I had unpretected sex with my ex boyfriend while beeing on my period?sc

• HealthyHeels January 11, 2016 / 2:03 pm

Hi Nicky, it IS POSSIBLE to get pregnant while on your period. If it’s been less than 5 days since you had unprotected sex and you don’t want to become pregnant, you can take emergency contraception over the counter to decrease your likelihood of pregnancy. Again, as we mentioned in other responses, having sex on your period is not a way to avoid pregnancy. You’ll want to use a condom or another form birth control. If you are trying to become pregnant, look for information about fertility and timing. Good luck.

87. charlene March 12, 2013 / 6:36 pm

I found this website very interesting….me and my partner have been tryin for a baby since january….and whilst just having my implanon taken out in jan weve tried everything….however finding out i can get pregnant on my period is a bonus as i thought it was imposible and must admit i got dissapointed to find out my period had arrived during intercourse….heres hoping it happens soon!! ThankYou for your information….It has helped!!! :))

88. Amber Cone December 27, 2012 / 11:29 pm

I’ve recently was wondering the same thing if its ok to have sex during my period. I always thought it wasn’t healthy but I guess I was wrong. But then again I’m not a doctor. I discussed all this with my boyfriend and we are not using and birth control or contraceptions. We aren’t planning on kids anytime soon but if it happens it happens we don’t plan anything we do. I mean he owns his own business and I keep house and will be starting to work on a farm once it gets warmer. But we have discusses everything and we are very open with each other about everything we do. We might be young but we know how we feel about each other and we know we are going to be married someday. But being open with the one you are with is key to everything if you aren’t open and comfortable with talkin about it then its not a wise choice to be in that situation.

89. Claire June 19, 2012 / 12:39 am

Is it okay to have sex on your period without the use of condoms with my husband…

• Molly McFatrich June 25, 2012 / 1:26 pm

Thanks for the question! I will first say that I am not a medical provider (I have my masters in Public Health), so if you have specific medical questions check with your doctor. However, I will do my best to answer your question.

If you are on a hormonal contraceptive, like the birth control pill, and you are consistent about taking it everyday, then you should be protected against pregnancy during the placebo pill week (i.e. the week you have your period). If you are not using any contraceptive method, it is possible for a woman to get pregnant from vaginal intercourse while she’s menstruating. If you and your husband are not seeking pregnancy, then you should reduce that risk by using a contraception method, like condoms (or birth control pills, the patch, the ring, etc).

If you are not concerned about pregnancy and you have been having sex on your period and using condoms simply because it makes one or both of you feel more comfortable, that’s totally fine. Menstrual blood will not harm your partner, though.

Does that answer your question?

• adil January 14, 2016 / 1:00 pm

can you please tell me that me and my partner have sex on my six day of periods and sudden blood came out… is it danger ?we were having sex without any protection? and we heard that if we have sex during period so it will cause aids.

• HealthyHeels January 25, 2016 / 1:02 pm

HIV is the virus that causes AIDS. HIV is caused by 4 fluids – breast milk, vaginal secretions, semen and blood. So it sounds like in your situation 3 of the 4 fluids were present. So, you’ll want to think about HIV. Have you and your partner been tested for HIV? Have you or your partner had any interactions where any of the 4 fluids could be transmitted between yourself and someone else since you were tested? To be safe, you can always go and get an HIV test. Here’s HIV testing info for UNC students. As for “danger” – unless you were feeling pain during sex, likely the blood is not dangerous and related to your period. If this is something you’re still concerned about, you can always visit your medical provider to talk about your situation and gather a professional opinion about your specific case. Best of luck.

90. Marisela August 27, 2011 / 4:03 pm

My husband loves to have intetcourse while i am menstruating, of course i bleed heavily, so he puts down a towel first, i do have intense orgasms, and i have noticed my cramps go away, but i was wondering if it was safe. I’ve got the answers to all my questions, thanks to your website.

• Mya Okemow April 4, 2015 / 12:43 am

will i get pregnant while im on my period and that my boyfriend uses a condom for sex?

• HealthyHeels April 6, 2015 / 2:01 pm

Hi Maya,
        Thanks for your question. Please see your provider for more information specific to your situation. In general, using a condom correctly is a great way to minimize your risk of unintended pregnancy when you’re having sex. But if you’re worried about becoming pregnant, you might consider a more effective method of birth control. We recommend http://bedsider.org/methods for determining effective contraception that fits your needs.