So when I wrote my last blog about how April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month, however; in writing that I was neglecting to mention that April is also STI (Sexually Transmitted Infection) Awareness Month and Alcohol Awareness Month. What a month! So keeping with my last blog, here are two more challenges UNC—Get tested. Get talking. And Rethink your Drink
For STD Awareness Month: Get tested. Get talking. And to help you on your way…
- Make an appointment at Campus Health and get tested. Just call 919-966-2281 and tell them you’d like to get tested. Questions on testing? See steps 2 and 3.
- Have questions? Get talking! Talk with one of our lovely Sexual Wellness Specialists (formerly CHECS). Call 919-966-3658 and make an appointment!
- Check out GYT, get the low down on STIs, testing and find out ways of spreading the message! (Make sure to watch the videos, they’re great … We ❤ Donny Danger!).
For Alcohol Awareness Month: Rethink your Drink. The goal of this challenge is to get you thinking about how you drink. So here goes…
- Track the number of drinks you drink. That means make your drinks yourself and measure them! (1 drink = 12 oz. beer, 5 oz. wine, 1 oz. hard liquor).
- Know what’s in your cup! (One cup of party juice can be as much as 5 beers!!)
- Track how much money you spend on drinking. This nifty tool from Rethinkingdrinking.com can help!
- Track how much time you spend getting ready to drink, drinking, and recovering from drinking.
- Write down any negative consequences caused by drinking. Miss a class? Say something you regret? Scrapes, bruises, or other injuries?
- Then look back over the month. How do you feel about the amount of time and money you put into drinking? Does your drinking fit your idea of a healthy lifestyle? What turns a good night into a bad night for you?
As always, share your thoughts with us!