I hate being cold. I also hate that when it’s cold outside, I don’t exercise as much.
So, I’ve found ways to exercise in the warmth of home, without exercise equipment. Here are some ideas I’d like to share. You can make a full cardio workout out of these by combining activities and exercising at moderate intensity for 45-60 minutes.
- Jumping Jacks: This classic exercise from your kindergarten class never grows old, and will definitely get your heart pumping.
- Jump Rope: Find your little brother or sister’s jump rope and see how fast you can do it. See if you can crisscross or double hop. Or, set a timer and jump for 10 minutes straight. Make sure to wear good shoes to protect your feet and legs.
- Burpees (or Squat Thrusts): These are classic whole-body exercises which involve quickly lowering into the push up position, pulling the feet in and then jumping up with arms raised. You can see an example here. These are pretty challenging, so do them at a pace that works for you.
- Mountain climbers: In the push up position with chest directly above hands, arms shoulder width apart, and back flat, run with your feet as if climbing a mountain. You can see an example here.
- Steps: Exercise up and down the stairs in your house by stepping up with one foot, then bringing the other up onto the same step. You may want to use just a few of the steps. Repeat leading with the other leg.
- Wii or Kinect games: Many of these video games involve active participation. Kinect Adventures has a great obstacle course game that really gets your heart pumping, or you can try some of the sports games on the Wii.
- Dancing: Dancing is a great way to exercise. You can go out with friends for a night on the town, or slip in Dance Central or Just Dance on the Wii or Kinect.
Physical activity will not only help you maintain a healthy weight during this season, it will also give you extra energy and relieve stress as your holiday to-do list grows. Don’t let the cold, ice or snow stop you from staying active. Give these in-home cardio exercises a try!
I love running the other 3 seasons of the year, but in winter I’m just like you–stuck indoors because of the cold and snow. I don’t have a gym membership in my budget right now so I rely on workout DVDs to keep me in shape. This works great and dare I say they may even keep me in better shape than going to the gym because they push me farther than I would push myself on a treadmill. I recommend anything Jillian Michaels 🙂 They’re quick and to the point.
Thanks Stephanie. I have had several clients tell me they love Jillian Michaels. I will have to give her a try!