As you may know tomorrow is Valentine’s Day which is often equated with a surplus of teddy bears, roses and chocolate candies. But what if you’re not into the traditional Valentine’s Day hoopla? There are plenty of nontraditional ways to celebrate love today and every day. Here are some ways to spread the love for Valentine’s Day:
1. Show the Community Love…..Volunteer
What better way to show love than to give your time and energy making your community stronger? Whether you want to participate in a long-term projects over several weeks or months, or short-term projects for a day r there are various nonprofit organizations here in the Chapel Hill area that would love to have you lend a hand. Check out the town of Chapel Hill’s volunteer listing , Volunteer Match and the UNC Calendar of Events to find local volunteer opportunities. The Carolina Center for Public Service also has a list of on campus service organizations that you might want to get involved with.
2. Show Yourself Love… Have Some “Me Time”
As busy college students it’s easy to prioritize coursework and extracurricular activities, over relaxation and rest. Even for successful students actively involved in campus life and academia, balance is key to overall well-being. In her article, Patricia Walker, Ph.D. explains that balancing our professional and personal lives can make our lives happier and more enjoyable. Take time to discover how you enjoy downtime, and then make yourself a priority. After all, Valentine’s Day is about love, right? Having some “me time” is a way of loving yourself.
Below are some ideas to get you started:
- Download some of our free iTunes Relaxation Audio Files and set aside time to listen to them with no distractions.
- During lunch, take 10 minutes to engage in meditation and mindfulness . Want to know how? Try this.
- Before bed, journal activities that you enjoy and try to do at least one activity each week. For example, if you like to read for fun, try reading a new novel on Saturday mornings.
3. Show Your “Circle” Love… Hang Out
Remember, Valentine’s Day is about all kinds of love: friendships, family relationships and romantic love! Don’t forget to spend time with those nearest and dearest to you, whom I like to call your “inner circle”. Your inner circle can consist of best friends, coworkers, classmates, boyfriends/girlfriends, buddies, and the list goes on and on. Here are some fun ways to spend time regardless of your relationship status.
- Have a movie night in (Tip: You can rent free movies from the UL here)
- Go to lunch on Franklin Street
- Call/Skype friends/family that live far away
- Have a game night
How are you spending your Valentine’s Day? Have an idea that’s not on the list? Share the details below! Happy Valentine’s Day, Tar Heels! 🙂
Walker, P. (n.d.). Create a Better Work-Life Balance and Enjoy a Happier Life (1.) | 4therapy.com. 4therapy.com | Changing Minds. Changing Behaviors. Changing Lives.. Retrieved January 26, 2013, from http://www.4therapy.com/life-topics/family-relationships/create-better-work-life-balance-and-enjoy-happier-life-1-2732