This blog post was originally published on September 24, 2015.
Feel like social life revolves around drinking?
Here are 10 alcohol-free ways to have fun in the Triangle.
(TIP: Always ask about a student discount!)
- Host or attend a game night FREE
- Join an intramural sports team FREE
- Group outing to the theatre! FREE-$$$
- Go ice skating or bowling $$
- Join a student organization FREE
- Check out a local farmer’s market over the weekend FREE
- Attend local community events FREE-$$$
- Check out student group performances (search category: performance) FREE-$
- Learn a new dance/go out dancing (all types of dancing) FREE-$
- Watch an outdoor movie or a CUAB movie (seasonal) FREE-$
Or, maybe you want to go to parties and just not drink!
Have you ever been out trying to have some alcohol-free fun, and people won’t stop bugging you? Here are some ideas of things to say, but they are dependent on your personality type, individual needs, or safety/comfort concerns!
- “I’m not drinking tonight, but thank you!”
- “I’m good for now, I just had one.”
- “I’m taking it easy tonight.”
- “I have to wake up early tomorrow/study, etc.”
- “I’m driving home tonight.”
- “I’m the designated driver tonight.”
- “I’m just trying to be a bit healthier right now.”
Not a talker? No worries! There are other ways to ward off peer pressure, again – dependent on your personality type, individual needs, or safety/comfort concerns. For example, some people have suggested holding a drink in their hand and not actually drinking, drinking alcohol-free drinks (like a rum and coke….minus the rum), or attending a party as a sober attendee and playing the games either with water or an alcohol-free drink!