It can be hard to know which support options might work best for your needs. There are a range of resources offered to UNC students to support you through difficult times.
“I want to connect with other students to find support and talk.”
- Peer 2 Peer program offers online one-to-one sessions with peer responders. Students can sign up to meet with a person with similar lived experience or relevant training. The option to remain anonymous is also available.
- CAPS groups over Zoom are opportunities to connect with people to feel less alone and less isolated while navigating challenges together. Led by CAPS staff.
- Student organizations provide connection with students who have similar interests.
- Learning Center Workshops provide academic assistance among students who need similar supports. Led by Learning Center staff.
“I want to talk to professional support.”
- MENTAL HEALTH: Counseling and Psychological Services offers mental health support 24/7 at 919-966-3658. You can also initiate therapy, medication management or find a referral for a therapist or psychiatrist in the community by calling M-F between 9-12 or 1-4.
- WELLNESS: Wellbeing Coaching offers individual appointments with Student Wellness coaches to support holistic wellness issues including mood, substance use and sexual health.
- FITNESS: 1 on 1 fitness training offers individual movement plans from certified personal trainers with Campus Rec to help you reach your fitness goals.
- ACADEMICS: Academic Coaching helps you balance academic demands with life demands.
“I want to connect with supportive people with my background or identity.”
- American Indian Center support and resources for American Indians
- Brother to Brother a CAPS support group for black men
- Carolina Asia Center resources for Asian students including student orgs
- Carolina Black Caucus membership open to grad students, fac, staff
- Carolina Latinx Center resources for Latinx students including student orgs
- Carolina Women’s Center supporting gender equity
- Dancing Mindfulness a CAPS group for BIPOC and International Students
- Empowering Black Women a CAPS support group for women of color
- First in the Family a CAPS group for first generation college students
- Graduate Student Support a CAPS group for graduate students
- In, Out, and In Between a gender and sexuality spectrum group by CAPS
- LGBTQ Center resources and groups for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and questioning students and their allies
- Minority Student Caucus a student org for students in the school of public health
- Returning Students a CAPS support group for students with a prolonged absence from UNC
- Sister Talk a discussion group for women of color
- Veterans Resource Center resources for UNC veterans
“I need support with food, housing, or internet.”
- Carolina Cupboard is an on-campus food pantry offering appointments during COVID
- Inter-Faith Council is a local food pantry and offers free lunch and dinner.
- Students on Federal Work Study programs or meet other requirements qualify for SNAP government food benefits
- Student emergency and hardship funds provide support for students when they have exhausted all other resources with unexpected, unforeseen, and unavoidable emergency expenses
2 thoughts on “I’m a UNC student and I’m struggling. Where can I find support at UNC?”