We know that being away from friends and activities is challenging. Maintaining your overall personal well-being while you are isolating or quarantining on campus is important and there are many resources available to help. UNC Healthy Heels is here to support you.
Stay active with Campus Recreation
Live Virtual Trivia and Art Programming
Paint Night: alternating every Wednesday 6:00 – 7:00 PM
Jan 27, Feb 10, Feb 24, Mar 10, Mar 24, Apr 7, Apr 21, May 5
Join us for a live virtual art therapy session! Painting can be a relaxing, fun, creative, and social experience. No experience is necessary, and we are not experts, but we can find our inner artists together! We will provide a balance of instructions and guidance and education to allow for maximum creativity and enjoyment. We will primarily be working with watercolor paints, but any medium is welcome to join in the fun as we create our own unique artwork. Use the registration link to sign up for login details.
Trivia: alternating every Wednesday 6:00 – 7:00 PM
Feb 3, Feb 17, Mar 3, Mar 17, Mar 31, Apr 14, Apr 28
Game On! Virtual trivia night! Watch, play, and answer in real time with our live host in the show of exciting multimedia trivia that tests players’ knowledge in everything from movies, music, geography, pop culture, sports to mythology. A smorgasbord of trivia, a mixed bag of fun – challenging but figureoutable questions! Use the registration link to sign up for login details.
Social Hour: Thursdays, 4:00 – 5:00 PM
Yoga: Tuesdays 7:00- 7:45 PM
All participants will need to register HERE in order to receive access to the class via Zoom.
Virtual Fitness Classes
Stay active anytime and anywhere with Group Fitness. New classes added weekly!
Participate in E-sports leagues and trivia/game nights without ever leaving home.
Mind your mind with Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)
While in isolation or quarantine, you may experience additional stress such as loneliness, boredom, irritability or anxiety. CAPS is available to support you during this difficult time, 24/7 by phone at 919-966-3658.
Virtual zoom COVID support: Thursday 2:30- 3:30PM
Discuss wellbeing with Student Wellness
Interested in more information about Mental Wellness and COVID? Want a 1:1 appointment to discuss your wellness journey? Student Wellness can help!
Listen to a good book from University Libraries
Connect with other students virtually
Being apart but still connecting is hard, but social interactions are critical to happiness and well-being. Take advantage of online programs – both asynchronous and real-time activities. The following are two of our favorite ways to find UNC events:
Join the Mental Health Email Course for UNC Students
Receive a daily email (only for 9 days!) – showcasing 8 mental health strategies that you can use right now. Each day provides you with a personal note, brief video skill, and UNC student testimonials about how they use the strategy in their life. The course was developed by therapists, health educators and students at UNC.
Daily Self-Care Activities
Take a Stretch Break
Giving the body a break from sitting or staring at a computer screen is a great way to help relieve stress and restore energy back into the body. Try these 10 stretches on your own, or follow along with our guided stretch video. Try to hold each stretch for about 1 minute.
- Seated Overhead Side Reaches
- All 4’s Cat/Cow Stretch
- Kneeling Runners Lunge to Hamstring Extension (right)
- Kneeling Runners Lunge to Hamstring Extension (left)
- Thread the Needle (right)
- Thread the Needle (left)
- Seated Hamstring Stretch (right)
- Seated Hamstring Stretch (left)
- Seated Spinal Twist (right)
- Seated Spinal Twist (left)
🎬Try this guided stretch sequence
Taking a break to jam out to your favorite music can not only improve your mood and feelings of happiness, but also reduces stress and anxiety.
Here are some options to get you grooving!
- Turn on your favorite song, close your eyes, and dance like no one is watching
- Tune into one of Campus Rec’s favorite Spotify playlists for some feel good inspiration
- 🎬Check out one of our Feel Good Dance videos to let loose and have some fun
A few minutes a day of mindful meditation can help you reduce stress, improve mental clarity, and become more present. Becoming more mindful can help you find happiness and calm especially during difficult times.
Take a deep breath and get ready to relax with our 10 minute guided meditation practice specifically for UNC students in isolation or quarantine.
Helping to increase confidence, boost your immune system, and reduce stress; strength-based movement not only helps builds a strong body but mind too!
Find your strong with one of these strength routines. Try them both for a complete full-body strength workout.
Benefits of water:
Today, challenge yourself to keep track or simply notice the amount of water you drink today. Tomorrow, try to drink a little bit more, and notice any changes in how you feel.
Learn more about the benefits of drinking water.
Color inside (or outside) the lines.
Take a break from your daily routine and let your mind find its creative flow. Download this Be Well & Thrive activity book to give your mind a mental break.
Inhale. Exhale. Repeat.
Practice this breathing sequence to help clear the mind:
- Find a comfortable seated position
- Place the right hand on the chest and the left on the belly
- Breathe normally for 10 breaths
- Breathe only into the right hand, focusing the rise and fall of the chest – continue for 10 – 20 breaths
- Breathe only into the left hand, focusing on the rise and fall of the belly – continue for 10 -20 breaths
- Return to full normal breaths, focusing on counting your inhales & exhales
- Repeat as many times as needed
Learn more about how to fight stress with intentional breathing.
Boost Your Energy!
Increasing the heart rate and getting your body moving boosts energy, improves mental clarity and decreases feelings of stress.
Try this quick 10 minute circuit on your own, or follow along with our guided video. Perform each movement for 45 seconds, then rest 15 seconds before starting the next movement.
- Alternating Side Lunges with Punches
- Tap Back Lunges with Triceps Extensions
- Squat Raise with Crunch
- Stationary Slams
- Star “Jump” with Lateral Leg and Arm Raises
- Front to Back Lunges
- Wide Leg Crab Walks with Hands at Head
- March and Toe Touch Crunches
- Step Outs with Lateral Arm Pulses
- Curtsy Lunge with Front Kick
Feeling drained after a day full of Zoom classes and sitting at a desk? Yoga can boost your mood & energy, as well as increase your capacity to manage stressful feelings.
Try a gentle Yoga flow to reconnect with your body and mind.
Start a gratitude journal to help amplify the positive in your life.
- Step 1: Reflect back on the day
- Step 2: Write down 3 things that you are grateful for today
- Step 3: Repeat this each day
Learn more about how and why to practice gratitude.
Open a Window.
There is more oxygen outside than inside, so it’s no wonder why fresh air energizes you, boosts mood, and can even improve your immune system.
Learn more about why fresh air is good for you.
Center your Core.
Balance looks different to everyone, physically or not. Center yourself with these core & balance focused movements either on your own or follow along with our guided 10-minute routine.
- Standing Side to Side Toe Touch (30 sec)
- Standing Side to Side Bend (30 sec)
- Standing Balance Calf Raise (30 sec)
- Step Back Lunge with Twist ( 30 sec)
- Knee Plank to Downdog (30 sec)
- Bird-Dog Extensions (30 sec)
- Side Plank Balance Hold (30 sec)
- All 4’s Hover Hold (30 sec)
- Cat Cow Stretch ( 30 sec)