Establish healthy habits.
- Schedule physical activity, healthy eating and stress reduction like you schedule your classes. If you schedule it into your day now, you’re less likely to skip it later. Bonus points for adding in social support – like by joining an intramural or club team, or scheduling fun fitness activities with friends.
Find and explore spaces to help you stay healthy at UNC.
- Campus Rec offers 10 facilities that host all kinds of fitness classes, outdoor adventures, team sports and aquatics. You have already paid to access these facilities in your tuition and fees so take full advantage!
- Dining Services alone has 14 locations across campus, plus there are many options nearby in the community. Look for diverse options and nutrient-dense, yummy food!
- Campus Health hosts a wide range of services including Sports Medicine, International Travel Clinic, Nutrition Services and more. Counseling and Psychological Services is located in the same facility.
Find local health care. Connect to a primary care provider and pharmacy.
- You have already paid for services at Campus Health through tuition and fees, so you can come see a provider during the week at no further cost to you!
- You can also schedule Campus Health appointments when it’s convenient for you online.
- Campus Health offers same day care visits for urgent needs 7 days a week during the semester (weekend visits have a service charge associated with them that is not covered by the health fee or insurance – but all other days are already paid for with your student fees!).
- Visit one of the two on-campus pharmacies – Campus Health Pharmacy or Student Stores Pharmacy to get the prescription and over the counter items you need. Most items available at lower costs than other pharmacies.
Make your mental health a priority.
- Start making friends! You are now in community with more than 5000 UNC students also new to campus. Some of your soon-to-be lifelong friends are among them.
- Get involved in campus organizations that interest you. This is one easy way to find people with similar interests. Search for what fits you using Heel Life.
- Seek professional help before things get awful – ideally as soon as you start to feel overwhelmed. Initial visits to Counseling and Psychological Services are available Monday – Thursday from 9-12, and 1-4 and Fridays 9:30-12 and 1-4. These have already been paid for in tuition and fees!
Get involved for a better UNC and a better you.
- Grow your leadership skills, your intellect and your circle of friends by getting involved in something larger than yourself. Loads of opportunities exist on Heel Life.
- You can also get involved in health through Student Wellness!
- Attend a health-related event on campus.
- Connect with Student Wellness or CAPS to provide education and outreach to your student group.
- Join a Peer Health Organization.
- Register for a workshop or training.
- Visit Student Wellness for resources, a piece of fruit, or cup of coffee. On us!
Find a system that works for you.
- Use a planner or an app to stay organized and proactive about your health and well-being.
- The Learning Center offers amazing resources including test prep, academic coaching, peer tutoring, workshops and a website full of resources (all at no cost!).
- The Writing Center helps students become stronger, more flexible writers. Work with coaches face-to-face or online at any stage of the writing process, for any kind of writing project. And check out their online resources for tips about many common writing challenges.
We know you want to stay healthy at Carolina, and we are here to help! Reach out if you have questions @UNCHealthyHeels or email@example.com.
Photos 2 and 3 by UNC Chapel Hill