Sex on your period: Fact or Fiction?

Sex during periods. As a sexual health educator, I am asked about this subject a lot.

“Do other couples do it?” “How does it work?” “Will I get pregnant?”

There are some myths and half-truths floating around about sex during a period, so I’m going to try to set the record straight…

Can you have sex on your period?

Yes. But like all issues surrounding sex, communication is critical. This means checking in with your partner. Depending on whether you’re the one menstruating or not, questions might include: “How do you feel during your period? Would you ever want to have sex while you’re menstruating?” or “I’m on my period right now. How do you feel about having sex while I’m menstruating?” For many folks who menstruate, sexual desire changes during different times of the menstrual cycle. For example, a person might experience increased desire during menstruation or ovulation – it all depends on the person. Be sure to talk about desires and feelings to ensure everyone is on the same page from the beginning.

Is having sex on your period bad for you?

No. Having sex while one or more partners are on their period is not harmful. In fact, there are a few ways in which it might be helpful! First, the contractions of orgasm might help relieve menstrual cramping. Second, sex might feel particularly great because the vagina can become super lubricated from menstrual secretions. If you or your partner worry about a mess from the blood, consider spreading out a towel or having sex in the shower to minimize post-coital cleaning.

Can I get pregnant if I have sex while on my period?

Yes. We get a lot of questions about specific situations on this – but the short answer is always “yes, it’s possible to get pregnant at any time during a menstrual cycle.” To put that in writing again – if you have unprotected vaginal/penile intercourse during your period, it is possible to get pregnant.

How can it be possible? A few reasons. Sperm can live in a vagina for up to five days. Plus many women do not have regular menstrual cycles, and even those who do can sometimes have a month or two where their cycle varies. This means that the timing of ovulation could come at various times. So depending on when the egg is released, sperm could be present to fertilize it.

If you have had penile-vaginal sex without contraception and you don’t want to get pregnant, consider Emergency Contraception (such as Plan B, ella, Plan B One Step or a Copper IUD). Many of these are available at most pharmacies over the counter and are pretty darn effective for up to 5 days after unprotected sex.

There are more reliable methods of contraception than Emergency Contraception. We encourage you to speak with your pharmacist or medical provider about contraception options that might work for you.

Are other people having sex on their period?

Based on the number of folks who are reading this blog article – yup. But really, it doesn’t matter if other folks are doing it or not. Having sex during menstruation is a personal decision, so we cannot stress enough–talk with your partner to see how they feel. If nothing else it can be another opportunity to get to know your partner and their likes, dislikes and comfort level.

This article has been edited for clarity and updated formatting since it’s original publishing date.

Most recent edit: September 28, 2015

95 thoughts on “Sex on your period: Fact or Fiction?

1. Marisela August 27, 2011 / 4:03 pm

My husband loves to have intetcourse while i am menstruating, of course i bleed heavily, so he puts down a towel first, i do have intense orgasms, and i have noticed my cramps go away, but i was wondering if it was safe. I’ve got the answers to all my questions, thanks to your website.

• Mya Okemow April 4, 2015 / 12:43 am

will i get pregnant while im on my period and that my boyfriend uses a condom for sex?

• HealthyHeels April 6, 2015 / 2:01 pm

Hi Maya,
        Thanks for your question. Please see your provider for more information specific to your situation. In general, using a condom correctly is a great way to minimize your risk of unintended pregnancy when you’re having sex. But if you’re worried about becoming pregnant, you might consider a more effective method of birth control. We recommend for determining effective contraception that fits your needs.

2. Claire June 19, 2012 / 12:39 am

Is it okay to have sex on your period without the use of condoms with my husband…

• Molly McFatrich June 25, 2012 / 1:26 pm

Thanks for the question! I will first say that I am not a medical provider (I have my masters in Public Health), so if you have specific medical questions check with your doctor. However, I will do my best to answer your question.

If you are on a hormonal contraceptive, like the birth control pill, and you are consistent about taking it everyday, then you should be protected against pregnancy during the placebo pill week (i.e. the week you have your period). If you are not using any contraceptive method, it is possible for a woman to get pregnant from vaginal intercourse while she’s menstruating. If you and your husband are not seeking pregnancy, then you should reduce that risk by using a contraception method, like condoms (or birth control pills, the patch, the ring, etc).

If you are not concerned about pregnancy and you have been having sex on your period and using condoms simply because it makes one or both of you feel more comfortable, that’s totally fine. Menstrual blood will not harm your partner, though.

Does that answer your question?

3. Amber Cone December 27, 2012 / 11:29 pm

I’ve recently was wondering the same thing if its ok to have sex during my period. I always thought it wasn’t healthy but I guess I was wrong. But then again I’m not a doctor. I discussed all this with my boyfriend and we are not using and birth control or contraceptions. We aren’t planning on kids anytime soon but if it happens it happens we don’t plan anything we do. I mean he owns his own business and I keep house and will be starting to work on a farm once it gets warmer. But we have discusses everything and we are very open with each other about everything we do. We might be young but we know how we feel about each other and we know we are going to be married someday. But being open with the one you are with is key to everything if you aren’t open and comfortable with talkin about it then its not a wise choice to be in that situation.

4. charlene March 12, 2013 / 6:36 pm

I found this website very interesting….me and my partner have been tryin for a baby since january….and whilst just having my implanon taken out in jan weve tried everything….however finding out i can get pregnant on my period is a bonus as i thought it was imposible and must admit i got dissapointed to find out my period had arrived during intercourse….heres hoping it happens soon!! ThankYou for your information….It has helped!!! :))

5. Hello great blog! Does running a blog like this take a great deal of work?
    I have no expertise in computer programming but I was hoping to start my own blog soon.
    Anyhow, should you have any recommendations or tips for new blog owners please share.
    I know this is off subject nevertheless I simply wanted
    to ask. Thanks a lot!

• Sara Stahlman May 21, 2013 / 9:26 am

Glad you like the blog! A blog can take as much or as little work as you desire – but we do think that a good one will take a solid amount of effort in the design and maintenance of the blog.

6. aj July 23, 2013 / 10:00 pm

My partner and I always do it. oral as well Just put a towel under you and lay on your back so its not messy ! During oral my flow always stops and it only gets a bit messy after intercourse. It really helps ease my cramping and it relaxes me a lot and I always have a nice sleep after.

7. Sofia lopes August 1, 2013 / 4:32 am

So if I want to get pregnant then I could just have sex while I am on my period?? Will that help? Like if I have sex towards the end of my period will tht help me get pregnant?

• Sara Stahlman August 2, 2013 / 9:26 pm

Sofia, if you’re trying to become pregnant, we recommend a prenatal visit with your medical provider to ensure you’re doing everything you can to have a healthy pregnancy (such as taking 400mg of folic acid each day for at least three months prior to conception). In terms of the timing – consider tracking your cycles. For a woman with a 28 day cycle, ovulation is likely to begin 14 days after her period started. However, for many women it’s a bit more complicated than that as many women have irregular and/or longer cycles. Body basal temperature and cervical mucous can help determine the timing for your ovulation patterns. Your provider can help you with tips for maximizing your chances for becoming pregnant. Good luck!

8. Ashley August 6, 2013 / 9:21 pm

Thanks :) I cannot tell you how long ive been stressing! at first i thought i was pregnant because i had sex (protected/with condom) on the first day of my period and It just stopped coming after, I thought i was pregnant because i started getting back pains and my period didnt run at all after the first day i tried it.. I went to the clinic and they told me i was fine but on the internet on another website it said it is possible to get pregnant with a condom, and i was really scared because im only 17 and i dont want a child at a early age.. this made me want to stop having sex until i turn 30 and married:D

• Melissa October 3, 2013 / 4:38 am

Hi Ashley wow thanks a lot for that I was so stressed out last weekend I had intercourse for the first time and we had unprotected sex while on my period and when it just went away I really panicked I’m 17 as well mwahugz thanks a lot Ladies…*wink*

• uncchsmedia October 3, 2013 / 9:45 am

Melissa, not to freak you out but as we mentioned above, it IS POSSIBLE to get pregnant while on your period. In Ashley’s case, she didn’t get pregnant after having sex on the first day of her period – and if you have a regular cycle, if you had sex on the first day of your period it’s unlikely that you would ovulate soon enough to become pregnant. It is just all so individual that there’s no way to know for sure in your situation. If it’s been less than 5 days since you had unprotected sex and you’re still worried, you can get and take emergency contraception over the counter to decrease your likelihood of pregnancy. Again, as we mentioned above, having sex on your period is not contraception (a way to avoid pregnancy). You’ll want to use a condom or another form birth control.

9. cindy November 10, 2013 / 9:34 pm

If you had unprocted sex while you had your period , to avoid getting pregnant if you take the pill plan b will it still work ?

• uncchsmedia November 11, 2013 / 9:17 am

Plan B is about 85% effective in preventing unwanted pregnancies when taken with 5 days of unprotected penile/vaginal intercourse. This is true whether you’re on your period or not. Hope that helps! If you have further questions, call your medical provider or pharmacist for more information. If you’re a UNC student, call 919.966.2281.

10. Laura December 3, 2013 / 3:00 pm

If you have unprotected sex on the first day of your period can you still get pregnant?

• uncchsmedia December 4, 2013 / 9:11 am

Laura, yes it is possible to become pregnant while on your period. Consider taking emergency contraception or calling your medical provider to discuss your specific pregnancy chances.

11. brian January 12, 2015 / 6:42 am

I was just wondering if it is safe to have sex when your partner is at the end of her period and you didnt use any condom. Will it be exposed to STD? Or HIV? i ve been bothered for weeks now and i had this high fever,vomiting, dnt feel lile eating. Pls reply asap thank you!

• HealthyHeels January 13, 2015 / 10:35 am

Hi Brian,
      We don’t offer medical advice on specific situations over our blog. In general – having sex without a condom at any point in your partner’s menstrual cycle leaves both of you vulnerable to STD or HIV transmission. We encourage you to visit your doctor if you’re not feeling well to ask more about your specific symptoms and situation. If you’re a UNC student, you can request an appointment from Campus Health online at or by calling 919-966-2281.

• daniel November 13, 2015 / 11:10 am

can be continue sex while my wife delay menstration for 6days

• HealthyHeels November 13, 2015 / 2:18 pm

If your wife consents, you can have sex anytime y’all desire. Some women delay menstruation by using birth control pills. If that’s your situation, birth control pills, when used correctly, are a highly reliable method of contraception. If your wife’s period is late but not because of hormonal contraception and you don’t want to get pregnant, consider another form of contraception like condoms.

12. Pyon March 28, 2015 / 11:27 am

I had sex with my bf on my first day (afternoon) second day (afternoon) and third day (dawn) of my period he cum inside me only once per day on my third day in the evening my period has gone slowly my period usually goes slow on the 4th day so I’m scared am I pregnant ? On the first day and second day my period is super fast. I have 28-30 cycle sometimes upto 40 when I’m stressed in school work

• HealthyHeels April 6, 2015 / 2:06 pm

Hi Pyon,
      Thanks for your question. We cannot answer specific situations like yours, but encourage you to visit your provider for advice and, if necessary, emergency contraception and/or a pregnancy test. We can tell you that risk for pregnancy increases with more instances of unprotected penile/vaginal intercourse. We strongly suggest if you indeed are not pregnant and do not wish to become pregnant, that you consider finding a method of birth control that works for you. Check out for details.

13. precious April 20, 2015 / 3:35 pm

If I had a sex during my periods but we use protection what will happen??

• HealthyHeels April 22, 2015 / 12:03 pm

Hi precious, Thanks for reading and commenting! We don’t offer medical advice on specific situations over our blog. In general – having sex with a condom as protection offers a lower risk of pregnancy and STI transmission. This is true even when you have sex during your period. Hope that helps!

14. vane May 8, 2015 / 6:01 am

If I had sex during my 4th day of my period and we had unprotected sex but he didnt cum inside me . Can i still get pregnant?

• HealthyHeels June 15, 2015 / 10:03 am

It’s always a possibility, yes. You can take emergency contraception to help avoid pregnancy after unprotected sex, but we’d encourage you to find a more reliable method of birth control. Contact your provider for details or visit Campus Health if you’re a UNC student.

15. tumi May 17, 2015 / 1:52 pm

Is it possible for me and my bf to be sick when we had unprotected sex mean while I was on my periods

• HealthyHeels June 15, 2015 / 10:02 am

To be sick? You mean get a cold? Yes, it’s possible to get a cold at any time, and that includes while having unprotected sex while on your period – although one has little to do with the other. Hope that helps!

16. mikel June 18, 2015 / 10:59 am

Me and my girlfriend had unprotected sex but i didn’t cum inside her and after we had sex like 10 minutes after we started again but it lasted like 5 min but i never came again and it was on the 3rd day of her period and her blood stopped for a while and started again. Is she possibly pregnant?

• HealthyHeels June 22, 2015 / 10:44 am

This can all be quite scary and complicated. To make it easy – yes, it’s a possibility. Emergency Contraception is an option for up to 5 days after you’ve had unprotected sex and can be purchased over the counter at most pharmacies. Remember that sperm can be released without ejaculation, and sperm can live for up to 5 days after sex. That time might be long enough to survive until one of your girlfriend’s eggs is released. Egg + sperm = pregnancy. Consider discussing options for contraception with your girlfriend so you can avoid the stress of situations like this. A pharmacist or provider can discuss with you your options at this point as well as options for the future. If you’re a UNC student, make an appointment at Campus Health by calling 919-966-2281 or stop in at our pharmacy for Emergency Contraception and a conversation with a pharmacist.

17. Prasen June 26, 2015 / 2:21 pm

I have sex with protection on 5th April. then Periods came on 15th April. After this period not till coming 2month…!! Is she pregnant….????

• HealthyHeels July 6, 2015 / 8:46 am

Prasen, if she has not had sex between April 5th and had a period on April 15th, pregnancy is not likely. If you’re feeling worried, pregnancy tests are available for purchase at the Healthy Heels Shoppe in the ground floor of Campus Health.

18. geomar July 5, 2015 / 8:36 am

hi im geomar my wife had period in a 4rth day we sex we both honest to each other there be possible that we get hiv or std when she get menstruation? what is possible happen after sex ?!

• HealthyHeels July 6, 2015 / 8:43 am

Anytime you have sex with someone, you put yourself at risk for STDs. You and your wife can be tested for STDs at Campus Health if you’re a student at UNC, or at your local health care provider. You can minimize risk of transmission in several ways – only have sex with your wife and your wife only has sex with you, use a barrier (dental dam, condom) to minimize skin-to-skin contact and fluid transmission, and limit the number of lifetime sex partners you have. Learn more about reducing your STD risk at

19. sega July 8, 2015 / 5:25 am

Hi… i have sex with my partiner during her period.but after the sex she take E-pill and after the pill her period stop….

• HealthyHeels July 20, 2015 / 3:30 pm

Levonogestrel pills, including the brands Plan B One-Step and Next Choice One Dose, are up to 89 percent effective when taken within 72 hours (three days) after unprotected sex. They continue to reduce the risk of pregnancy up to 120 hours (five days) after unprotected sex, but they are less effective as time passes. It sounds like you are in that first window of time, meaning most likely you are not pregnant. If you want to be sure, you can visit your provider (Campus Health, if you’re a student at UNC) for a pregnancy test or to ask more questions. You can also find pregnancy tests at your local pharmacy.

20. Solomon ishaya July 15, 2015 / 4:00 am

Am really happy to come across this blog, but i still have some confusion. The question is will a woman get pregnant after five days of her period if she had sex?

• HealthyHeels July 20, 2015 / 3:33 pm

A woman can get pregnant anytime her eggs come into contact with sperm which usually comes from unprotected (meaning without a hormonal or barrier contraception like condoms or the pill). If that behavior occurred prior to her having a five day period, she is not pregnant. If, on the other hand, she had unprotected penile-vaginal intercourse during or after her period, there’s a chance that she could become pregnant.

21. bujji July 23, 2015 / 4:40 am

i can have protected sex with my husband on 4th day of my periods……..we can have r not…

22. prajakta August 12, 2015 / 6:18 am

i want to have sex but its my first day of period
    so can i have it…
    an will i get pregnant..

23. noza August 27, 2015 / 1:12 pm

Hi. My husband he want it ,, an its my 1st day period ,, can I give him ,, is it safe ? An I don’t want him to use Condom.

• HealthyHeels August 27, 2015 / 8:29 pm

Hi Noza, Thank you for your question. If you’re concerned about not wanting to get pregnant, then you’ll want to find some form of birth control (if condoms aren’t your thing, pick another!) to avoid pregnancy on your first day of your period and at any other time you and husband choose to have sex. Speak with your medical provider if you have further questions.

24. monika August 29, 2015 / 2:50 am

hi is there any chance of sexual diseases if intercourse happens on 4th day of periods and is pregnancy possible on 4th day of periods

• HealthyHeels August 30, 2015 / 7:50 pm

STI’s are always a risk, and the timing of one’s period does not change that risk at all. Pregnancy is always a risk when there’s a chance an egg and a sperm might meet which can happen at any point of one’s period so yes, pregnancy is possible on the 4th day of periods. I’d recommend you speak with your provider to ask about emergency contraception and STI testing, as well as to get more details about your specific risks.

25. roxana August 29, 2015 / 5:03 am

Hi i had sex with my bf today i thought i was not in my period anymore because it stop but then when he cum in me i was bleeding ???could i get pregnant like that??? Plz answer me i need 2 know ?

• HealthyHeels August 30, 2015 / 7:53 pm

A woman can get pregnant anytime her eggs come into contact with sperm which is more likely during unprotected sex (meaning without a hormonal or barrier contraception like condoms or the pill). YES – you could be pregnant. Please speak with your provider or a pharmacist to talk about emergency contraception. You’ll also want to learn more about how pregnancy occurs and seek a method of contraception that you can use regularly. If you’re a UNC student, call CHS at 919-966-2281 to set up an appointment.

26. ramesh August 29, 2015 / 8:29 am

I sex with a married women when she is on her periods…,is there any risk of stds or hiv plzz reply me..

• HealthyHeels August 30, 2015 / 7:57 pm

Yes – STDs (including HIV) are a risk with sexual intercourse – whether the person is married or on her period or not. Consider speaking with your sex partners to discuss STD and HIV status prior to sexual intercourse. At this point, you’ll want to connect with your medical provider to learn more about which STDs might be a risk for you, methods to prevent transmission during future intercourse and to be tested.

27. Charlie September 2, 2015 / 4:47 am

Will my girlfriend be pregnant if we had sex on her 1st day period and we only had sex for 5 min without me cumming?

• HealthyHeels September 11, 2015 / 3:30 pm

Well, the short answer is maybe. There is a small amount of ejaculate that occurs prior to orgasm that does contain sperm. But you have a lot of odds in your favor. We realize you asked this 9 days ago now, so hopefully you have resolved whether or not your girlfriend is pregnant at this point. Consider finding a method of contraception that you can use consistently regardless of the time of the month.

28. Celia September 8, 2015 / 12:52 pm

I just had sex with my boyfriend whilst on my period and I’m feeling major pain in my stomach, vaginal area and partially my butt. Did I do something wrong or what?

• HealthyHeels September 11, 2015 / 3:31 pm

Hi Celia. Thanks for your comment – we can’t offer individual medical advice on this blog. It sounds like you might benefit from visiting with a medical provider to talk about what’s happening with your body. Or you could call a nurse line to ask for advice on your specific situation. Best of luck and hope you’re feeling better.

29. mirapal September 11, 2015 / 8:36 am

Hi,i had sex with my husband on my 2nd day of period.i.e 4th sep evening i got period and on 5th sep moring i had sex.he said he didnt ejaculate .sex was only for 3 mins.On 6th sep 7.30am i took i-pill.Usually i got bleeding on my period for 3days.But this time its 7 days but still i got bleeding.Is it a side effect of i-pill?
    In 2014 i took i-pill 1st time but i didnt get any side effect.But this time i am scaring bcz of this bleeding and i took this i-pill in my period time?M i pregnant???

• HealthyHeels September 11, 2015 / 3:43 pm

Hi Mirapal – that’s a lot to keep track of in there. I’m having a hard time following – but in general, when women take emergency contraception, it can result in fluxuations in a typical menstrual cycle including what I think you’re describing above. Most of the time, extra bleeding would not be an indication that you are pregnant. We hope that helps, and don’t be afraid to call your provider, pharmacist or a nurse line to ask about your specific situation. Good luck!

• mirapal September 11, 2015 / 9:24 pm

Hi,Thanks for your early reply.I have doubt thet its my 9th day of period.Now also i m lit bit bleeding after taking that i-pill.Is it normal ?Will i get my next period in time or it will be late.Is it the chance of pregnancy.

30. Ruby September 11, 2015 / 1:59 pm

when u don’t want 2 get pregnant and u had a sex with your Husband during your flow how possible is it that you will get pregnant

• HealthyHeels September 11, 2015 / 3:56 pm

Ruby that is a great question and difficult to answer. In our research, we haven’t seen any data to give you an answer on this. The main takeaway is that that it is possible to become pregnant at any point in your cycle. Some women do practice fertility awareness as their method of contraception. That means they track their cycle and don’t have sex on the days where they could get pregnant. There are an average of 13 days per cycle where a woman cannot have sex, and there are varying levels of tracking one’s cycle. With typical use of fertility awareness, 1 in 4 women become pregnant in a year. That’s all to say that a person could plan to only have intercourse during menstruation with the hopes of not becoming pregnant, and at least based on the only data we could find, 75% of those women would not become pregnant for at least a year. In other words, there are loads of better (read: more effective, less calendar-intensive) contraceptive methods one could use – methods where over 99% of women would not become pregnant in a year. Hope that helps!

31. Ruby September 13, 2015 / 10:11 am

yea. thanks

32. Tatty September 14, 2015 / 2:03 am

Hi, I know it may be a high possibility but I wanted your opinion…

I was diagnosed with PCOS a few years back so my periods were always erratic and only ever last 3-4 days, but so far this year my periods have been every month, some 28 days others 31 or 36 so I can never tell when I am actually due on…

Well about 32 days ago I started my period which was heavy and painful but I had unprotected sex with a mate about 11hrs in (which relieved the Cramps) but within an hour my period stopped and never restarted…

Basically I guess I’m asking if there’s that chance I could be pregnant xx

• HealthyHeels September 18, 2015 / 11:21 am

Hi Tatty, Thanks for your question. I don’t know if you’ve noticed a theme in our responses to folks’ questions, but in general, the answer is usually, yes there’s a chance. The same is true for you. You can look into emergency contraception up to 5 days after unprotected intercourse or take a pregnancy test to find out for sure. Good luck!

33. sino September 20, 2015 / 6:04 pm

I need help am lost.its been 10days since.I had a baby and am on my period I slept with my man without using a condom but I am on contaceptive injection of 3 months so can I be pregnant?

• HealthyHeels September 22, 2015 / 11:48 am

Hi Sino – thanks for your question. We really can’t offer personal advice, but the shot is pretty effective for three months. If it’s been three months or longer since your shot, you do have a chance of being pregnant. Consider calling or visiting your medical provider.

34. Shraddha October 9, 2015 / 4:45 am

hi ,

my name is Shraddha and i 17 years old and my period date is 29, but in last month September my period came on 14 September after that i had my 1st sex with my boyfriend on 3rd October with sefty and after sex he gave i pill also, but after having an i pill i vomet in 15 min . and we both are in tens but my date is coming and i really felling like a period , so i just want to confirm that my period will come na or it i,ll get miss ? please help me with this i am really tens plz plz plz need ur tips and am giving ma boyfriend’s mail id Please help me :(

• HealthyHeels October 9, 2015 / 11:20 am

Hi Shraddha,
      It sounds like you’re feeling pretty anxious about this. From what you wrote, it seems like you and your boyfriend did what you could to minimize your risks while having sex. I’m assuming “with sefty” means with a condom and “after sex he gave i pill” means you took emergency contraception after having sex, but then threw up. Using a condom is a fantastic way to minimize risk of pregnancy and STI transmission. Taking emergency contraception after intercourse is another way to minimize chances of pregnancy, although with the vomit soon after, it sounds like your body may not have had enough time to absorbed the pill. In any case, based on your feeling of being “tens” (tense?), you might want to set an appointment with a medical provider or talk with a pharmacist. There are contraceptive methods that are more effective than condoms and more effective than emergency contraception. If you and your boyfriend had sex once, there’s a chance you might have sex again, and finding a reliable contraceptive method would help minimize your anxiety after future intercourse. For now, you can also consider purchasing and taking a pregnancy test if waiting for your period to arrive is making you crazy. Take good care.

• Shraddha October 12, 2015 / 12:44 am

Hey hi,

Thank u so.. much for ur helpful tips nd i got ma period its start now and i really happy now coz its start . and one more thing i would like to ask u that if i want to do sex again with my boyfriend so, what would u suggest for me for that ? please tell me i want to know clear picture about that plzz plzz tell me i waiting ..

• HealthyHeels October 16, 2015 / 9:53 am

Taking the iPill after you had sex communicates to us that you weren’t comfortable with the condom being your only form of pregnancy protection. So we’d suggest you visit your medical provider and discuss contraceptive options that might make you feel more confident in their effectiveness. If you’re a student or post-doc (or partner of a post-doc) at UNC, make an appointment by calling 919-966-2281 or visiting and logging in with your ONYEN.

35. Zaridra October 16, 2015 / 12:29 am

I had a question. When I had sex with my partner today, I was on my period (I was on the fourth day) We had sex, and use protection, and pulled out. I should be fine, right? I didn’t want to get any disease or get pregnant.

• HealthyHeels October 16, 2015 / 9:49 am

Zaridra, it seems like y’all took some helpful precautions to avoid pregnancy and STIs. You can talk to your medical provider or pharmacist if you have more questions about specifics around what you did or didn’t do (i.e. what “protection” did you use) or if you’re interested in learning about contraceptive options that are more effective than pulling out and condoms (assuming that’s what you mean by “protection”). Good luck and thanks for your question.

36. Bianca October 29, 2015 / 8:04 am

I had sex during my period then it stopped so the next day I took plan b after 3 days I got brownish blood what does that mean

• HealthyHeels October 29, 2015 / 2:28 pm

Spotting after taking Plan B is totally normal. If you have any further specific questions, see your medical provider or pharmacist.

37. Stephanie c October 29, 2015 / 6:07 pm

I had sex with my boyfriend during my period , I was barley bleeding I just wanted to know if I’m pregnant will my period stop or will it continue ?

• HealthyHeels November 3, 2015 / 1:37 pm

Hi Stephanie – that’s a great question. Remember that you could become pregnant up to 5 days after having sex. AND since you said you were barely bleeding, this may have been spotting, and not your regularly monthly bleed. Both of those are reasons why the bleeding could continue or stop – and neither would tell you a thing about being pregnant. Hope that helps. If you have more questions, visit or call your medical provider.

38. Ayesha Khatoon November 4, 2015 / 8:14 am

There is any chances of getting pregnant if do sex during periods, on 3rd day of period i do sex but bleesing is contineu after doing sex for 2 days?
    Can i know pregnancy result using pregnency kit after 12 days of doing sex.

• HealthyHeels November 5, 2015 / 11:24 am

Hi Ayesha, Good questions. You could be pregnant regardless of whether your bleeding continues in the days after sex. Remember that women’s ovulation patterns vary, so if you ovulate within 5 days of penile-vaginal sex, sperm could still be present. As for pregnancy tests, every brand varies. Most providers recommend you wait until you miss a period, which in your case could be almost a month later. If you’re concerned about your chance of pregnancy, we recommend you connect with a medical provider to discuss birth control options that might result in less anxiety about become pregnant. If you’re a UNC student or post-doc, you can request an appointment online at

39. Sam November 7, 2015 / 5:36 am

Hi there, I’m a little concern… My husband and I are trying for a baby and ha ve been having sex a lot. I came on my period on 29/10/15 and on the 1/11/15 we had sex. My period after having the implant taken out was extremly heavy, but after having sex it all stop straight away.

Now, when we had sex my husband’s sperm bank went inside me and no sign of any mess. Since that day (1/11/15) my husband’s sperm bank doesn’t seem to want to stay in me. Could this mean I could be pregnant and that’s why I’m rejecting his mess or could it mean something else….?

• HealthyHeels November 9, 2015 / 4:49 pm

Hi Sam – it sounds like an exciting time for y’all! We would not suggest basing your perception of whether or not you’re pregnant on his ejaculate staying inside or coming out of your body. A pregnancy test and/or a visit or call to your medical provider to talk about preconception planning (like folic acid supplements!) are better options. Good luck!

40. Meg November 11, 2015 / 5:09 am

I had my period on Oct 3rd, it was heavy or 3 days then I spotted for 2, I’ve been with my boyfriend for 9 months now we haven’t used any protection In probably 8 months!!! We haven’t been getting alone for a few weeks on Friday Oct 16th I took the plan b pill.. Had no symptoms at all. On Oct 22nd I started bleeding for 15 days straight till Nov 4th, we had intercourse Oct 26th, and 28th, And Again on Nov 4th, and 6th!! When we had intercourse on Nov 4th he ejaculated Twice unprotected and I stopped bleeding!! A few different thing’s say I was ovulating Nov 4th, 5th and the 6th, I’m wondering if it was the pill that made me bleed 15 days straight or was it just a long period, I have 3 kids already and I do not take any birth control so I’m guessing there is a chance I could be right now, right?

• HealthyHeels November 11, 2015 / 2:12 pm

Wow, Meg! We need to get our calendar to follow this, which clearly tells us that this issue is pretty specific to your situation. We don’t offer individual medical information on our blog and encourage you to call or visit your medical provider to ask your question or get a pregnancy test (because in a nutshell, yes you might be pregnant).

• Meg November 11, 2015 / 9:36 pm

Could you explain to my why the Ovia app tells me that I’m fertile on the 4th 5th and the 6th, then again on 28th 29th and the 30th, I thought you were fertile 6 days straight how 3 days the beginning of the month then 3 days at the end of the month?!!

41. Grace November 13, 2015 / 7:33 am

helIo,ihad sex on d last day of my period in which I normally av lil or no flow at all…but he made use of a condom but after having sex blood started coming
    out for a while but later stopped….can I get pregnant with dat?

• HealthyHeels November 13, 2015 / 2:15 pm

Using a condom is a great way to minimize your risk of getting pregnant. There is still a chance of pregnancy with typical condom use (for example if the condom broke or wasn’t used or put on correctly – and even when folks report they did everything “right,” sometimes pregnancy still happens with condoms). We wouldn’t recommend using your blood flow as a way to gauge likelihood of pregnancy. You can always take Plan B to provide another way to minimize your likelihood of pregnancy (if you had sex within the last 5 days), or a pregnancy test to determine if you are actually pregnant (if it’s been over 2 weeks…ish). If you don’t want to have this kind anxiety in the future, consider a visit to a medical provider for a more reliable form of birth control.

42. akku November 19, 2015 / 9:43 am

hello mam, plz clear my doubt, i had sex with my husband at night and i suddenly got my periods after sex.. and i am undergoing a 2 day miss of periods.. am i pregnant?

• HealthyHeels November 30, 2015 / 4:27 pm

Hi Akku, it’s possible, yes. Take a pregnancy test to find out for sure.

43. may November 22, 2015 / 11:11 am

I had sex with my boyfriend and i had sex the fourth day of my period . We had sex 3 times in that day and he cam inside me 2 times maybe 3.. my period is almost done now. But could i end up pregnant ??
    I started my period on a Monday and had sex on a thursday and today is Sunday and my period is stopping .

• HealthyHeels November 30, 2015 / 4:29 pm

Hi May. Thanks for your question. If you’ve noticed any themes in our responses, it’s that the answer is almost always, “Yes, you could be pregnant.” The same is true for you. Remember that everyone’s cycle is different and that sperm can survive for up to 5 days – so pretty much anytime someone with ovaries has sex with someone with a penis without using contraception, there is a chance of pregnancy.

44. may November 22, 2015 / 11:13 am

Idk how to use this website i cant see my post .

• HealthyHeels November 30, 2015 / 4:30 pm

Sorry for the confusion – we have it set to approve posts, but obviously don’t get to the computer 24/7 (especially around holidays!). We hope our response to your original post was helpful.

45. Phaisha November 23, 2015 / 5:29 pm

I use to have my period towards the end of the months but this month is different because I had sex with my husband on 09/11 and I saw my period on 11/11…..Hope there is no chances of getting pregnant

• HealthyHeels November 30, 2015 / 4:32 pm

There are lots of reasons why your period may skip or come late – stress, nutrition, and yes, pregnancy being a few of those reasons. If you are a person with ovaries and you are or might have sex with a person with a penis, you might want to consider contraception to be more certain that pregnancy won’t occur. Talk with a medical provider for more details. Good luck!

46. Courtney November 26, 2015 / 9:05 pm

So I have a question me and my bf have had unprotected sex during my period and it automatically stopted right after is it normal and is there a possibility that I became pregnant?

• HealthyHeels November 30, 2015 / 4:34 pm

Hi Courtney. Good question – periods are strange and unpredictable, just like ovulation and cycles. That’s why if you’re a person with ovaries and you have sex with a person with a penis, you are always at risk of becoming pregnant. If that’s your situation and you want to avoid pregnancy, consider contraceptive options by visiting your medical provider or pharmacist.